This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

It’s that time again! Time for those “New Year New Me” resolutions that people make every January but usually break around February. See, the trick is to make new year’s resolutions that are simple and attainable. So, here are my best tips for rocking the school year in 2018.

Start Organizing…and Start ASAP!

It may seem easier said than done, but it is so important to stay on top of your school work at the very beginning of the semester. We’ve all been there when the course readings and assignments keep piling up until you feel like you’re drowning in an ocean of never-ending stress and perpetual studying. The best way that I’ve found to stay organized at the beginning of the semester is using the course syllabus. Professors usually hand these out on the first day, and trust me, they will be your holy grail for surviving the semester. I like to use a planner or calendar to mark down all my important due dates from the syllabus for the whole semester. This prevents you from being surprised by an assignment during the course. This also leads into my next tip…

Aesthetically Pleasing Stationary and Planners

I don’t know about you, but for me there’s just something about buying cute, new school supplies that makes me very happy. Honestly, I could walk through an office supplies store for hours. Buying some nice new stationary can really be a great way to start the new year feeling fresh and organized. If you’re like me, it can definitely help make you want to study more if you have school supplies that you’re excited to use.

Daily or Weekly To-Do Lists

This may sound a little unnecessary, but trust me, I have learned from experience that making to-do lists can be a lifesaver, especially during midterms and finals season. Planning out your day can really help to ensure you’re keeping on top of all of your studying and assignments. It also feels really great to put a little check mark next to all the tasks that you’ve completed each day!

But Remember…It’s All About Balance!

We are students – not superheroes. At the end of the day, it is important as a student to remember to leave yourself time for extracurricular activities as well. Whether it’s playing a sport, joining a club, hanging out with your SO/friends/family, or pampering yourself with some me-time, it is so important that you leave yourself time to do the things that you love. While you’re planning out how much studying you need to get done each day, make sure you set aside some free time for your own mental health.

Hello there! My name is Genevieve Gignac. I am currently a 2nd year Communications student at Simon Fraser University in British Columbia. My favourite articles to write are about fashion, beauty, pop culture, and current events. Originally, I grew up in Toronto, Ontario, but I moved with my family to Vancouver when I was 11 years old. My hobbies include keeping active by hiking or doing pilates at the gym, hanging out with my family and friends, and binging my favourite shows on Netflix. After university, I aspire to use my Communication degree to work in PR, events co-ordinating, and social media. You can keep up with my articles here, or follow me on Instagram: @genevieve_gignac
Hi, I'm Lynsey! I am a 20 something full-time Communications student at SFU, the past PR/Marketing Director of HC SFU, and current Campus Correspondent. I am also an avid literature lover, coffee consumer, and aspiring PR professional who is still fairly new to the city, as my roots are deep in the West Kootenays.  Follow me on Instagram @lynseygray, to get to know me better at lynseygray.ca, or connect with me on LinkedIn https://ca.linkedin.com/in/lynsey-gray-088755aa