This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Well it’s the holidays, and you know what that means – all of my fellow holiday fanatics and I are officially allowed to openly share our love for everything Christmas without any judgement. I thought I would kick off this December with a cozy DIY Holiday drink (because who really wants to go to Starbucks and drop at least 5$ on something similar).

For this deliciously festive white peppermint hot chocolate, you will need:

• a mug of milk (just measure 3/4 of the mug you will be drinking from)
  • 1/2 a cup of white chocolate chips
  • peppermint extract
  • candy canes
  • whipping cream

Start by warming your milk, one drop of peppermint extract (trust me, less is more) and white chocolate chips together over low temperature in a small saucepan. While this is heating, take 2-3 candy canes and crush them for the garnish. If you choose to rim your mug like I did, then I suggest you dampen a cloth and press the rim of the mug into it and then roll it around in the crushed candy cane. Once the hot chocolate it your desired heat, pour into your mug of choice, garnish with whipping cream and candy cane bits, and enjoy!

This past summer, I discovered that I have a gluten sensitivity. Being the baked goods lover that I am, it goes without saying that this was a rather tragic realization. That being said, the benefits of cutting gluten out of my diet have been endless and I have been feeling amazing the past 7 months free of my enemy, wheat (but I can dedicate a whole separate post to that another time).

Being January: the month of health and fitness resolutions, I have been trying to eat as clean as possible, but we all have to splurge sometimes! I decided to take the classic gluten friendly muffins which use alternative ingredients such as rice flour and amp it up a notch by cutting out any form of flour completely. These amazing flourless muffins are a delicious treat that won’t leave you feeling guilty at all coming in at 175 calories and only 2 grams of fat.

For these delicious babies, you will need:

• 1 cup of peanut butter (could substitute for almond butter if you so desire)
  • 2 bananas
  • 2 whisked eggs
  • 4 tbs honey
  • 1/2 cup of cocoa powder (unsweetened is best!)
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • As many chocolate chips as you like (I just used enough to top the muffins)
  1. Preheat your oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
  2. Start off by beating the peanut butter, bananas, eggs and honey together until it is as smooth and combined as possible.
  3. Next, go ahead and add the cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and beat that in. Your mixture should be smooth but thick!
  4. Line your muffin trays however you like (I just used Pam) and fill each well so that they are even with the top of the tray as the muffins don’t actually rise that much.
  5. Top with a sprinkle of chocolate chips – obviously this step is optional but who doesn’t want a little chocolate?
  6. Place in the oven for about 25 minutes and let them cool for roughly 10 before placing them on a cooling rack.

There ya have it – delicious gluten friendly muffins that won’t make you feel guilty about indulging a little.

Leigh is a 3rd year Communications major at Simon Fraser University. In her spare time she enjoys playing soccer, photography, and blogging. You can check her out further on Instagram, @itsavioletworld .
Hi, I'm Lynsey! I am a 20 something full-time Communications student at SFU, the past PR/Marketing Director of HC SFU, and current Campus Correspondent. I am also an avid literature lover, coffee consumer, and aspiring PR professional who is still fairly new to the city, as my roots are deep in the West Kootenays.  Follow me on Instagram @lynseygray, to get to know me better at lynseygray.ca, or connect with me on LinkedIn https://ca.linkedin.com/in/lynsey-gray-088755aa