Giving Yourself ‘Me Time’ in Vancouver

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

We always seem to be too busy or not wanting ‘me time’ but little do we realize the importance of it. Sometimes it’s not even that we don’t have the time, it’s the fact that our friends are out so shouldn’t we be too? Let’s admit it we all have that one friend that is out every night… even on a Monday… how is that even possible??

There is often a pressure that we need to be constantly doing something… anything… Getting the perfect picture to post on our Instagram, Snapchats, be able to tell our friends a funny story or something cool we saw in the week. But the question is, why do we need to be with someone to feel like we’ve done something worth telling?

Here are some things that I like to do;

1. Challenge yourself to finish a glass of water every morning. Not only will it help wake you up, but it can also improve your metabolism! Take that time for yourself, read your favourite blog, watch a video, read the newspaper…

2. Go for a drive! Bring a blanket and go watch the stars from your favourite location in town. My favourite spot would have to be the White Rock Beach!

3. Running! No matter if it’s a slow jog, run, or sprint… challenge yourself and beat your goal. Let’s admit it, it feels so amazing after a successful workout session!

4. Netflix night? Put on your favourite show, make some popcorn and enjoying a cup of hot chocolate… perfect for the cold and rainy nights!

5. Visit some local attractions! Capilano Suspension Bridge has put up their Christmas lights, and realistically speaking, strike now! You can beat the lines!

6. Read a book? I know being in university and all, things have changed. Myself as a Communications student I understand. But it’s important to remind ourselves that reading doesn’t always have to be mandatory…  If you are looking for ideas; Me Before You by Jojo Moyes, or Forest Gump by Winston Groom (an all-time favourite of mine)

7. Last thing. Decorate! Christmas is coming, which is even more perfect, visit your local Dollar Store and buy some decorations! Change it up this year, look up some DIY’s and get going!

The most important part is to find what works for you and have fun. Don’t be afraid to disconnect occasionally.

I am a third year Communications student with a Business minor attending Simon Fraser University. I joined SFU's Her Campus team in order to participate and be able to share and help others in spreading their creativity. I am working towards becoming a lawyer or an international representative and the experience of being on the Executive Team is helping me build connections and develop a management system that will help me in the long run due to my interaction with so many of you!
Hi, I'm Lynsey! I am a 20 something full-time Communications student at SFU, the past PR/Marketing Director of HC SFU, and current Campus Correspondent. I am also an avid literature lover, coffee consumer, and aspiring PR professional who is still fairly new to the city, as my roots are deep in the West Kootenays.  Follow me on Instagram @lynseygray, to get to know me better at lynseygray.ca, or connect with me on LinkedIn https://ca.linkedin.com/in/lynsey-gray-088755aa