This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

The holidays are just around the corner and so is the stress of gift shopping. Gifts are great to receive, but doing a nice gesture for the people in your life can be a memorable gift too. Gestures can be planning an event that you and your loved one can experience together or just doing a little extra.  Of course not everyone will like the same things, and since I don’t know any of the people in your life personally, these might be bad ideas… but anyway, here are some ideas if you need some inspiration! 

For Your Dad:

Gift: a water-resistant shirt to avoid all of life’s messes.

Gesture: Take your dad to a whiskey/scotch tasting. It can be a great experience to learn a thing or two about fine liquor together. 

For Your Mom: 

Gift: Spa gift cards are always nice to receive. Treat her to a full body massage or a relaxing facial!

Gesture: Take the time to book the spa day for your mom. Moms are selfless and typically won’t take the time out of their own day to treat themselves. Actually booking the appointment for her is a nice gesture you can do to make sure she uses up those gift cards to feel relaxed and refreshed. 

For Your Sister:

Gift: Heated narwhal and s’mores slippers that make studying, and life in general, a little cozier. Plug in the USB to make them warm and toasty.

Gesture: Get some concert tickets to an artist you both like! It’ll be an unforgettable experience for the both of you.

For Your Brother:

Gift: Beeropoly, roll the dice and let your beer cap guide you on this fun drinking game!

Gesture: A good ol’ Cancucks game is always a fun time! As long as your brother is a hockey guy.

For Your Significant Other:

Gift: If your S.O. has a sense of humour, this would be a good one!  Get a World’s Okayest Boyfriend Mug or World’s Okayest Girlfriend and assure them they’re actually the best.

Gesture: You know your S.O. more intimately than anyone else. They would surely love a romantic home cooked dinner with their favorite foods. 

For Your Best Friend:

Gift: A Shower Wine Glass Holder, Listen, we’re busy people nowadays. Why not save some time getting ready and pre-gaming when you hit the town with your bestie?

Gesture: Buy tickets to a comedy show for the both of you! 

For Your Roomate: 

Gift: Getting a cozy Bathrobe for your roommate will keep them warm and covered. (Cause Jesus, Shannon, we have GUESTS). It’s also perfect for lounging around in the apartment.  

Gesture:  Sometimes you don’t replace the toilet paper when it’s all used up, and someone’s got to do it when you’re feeling too lazy. What a better way to show your appreciation for your roommate than by baking a “thanks for tolerating me” cake?

Image Source

Danika is a undergraduate at Simon Fraser University. She's aquiring a BA in criminology and a minor in french.