Gentle Reminder: Take a Step Back, Breathe, and Conquer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

It is crazy how vulnerable we feel when we are faced with new situations. It feels as though the world is a maze that has already been resolved by everyone else who is in it – but you walk into it with no idea which direction to take. We might have so many things going simultaneously. You might be doing a job alongside a semester in university or college, and on top of that, perhaps you have wedding planning to do, or important family roles to fulfill.  You might be trying to figure out a new campus, workplace, or even city with absolutely no road maps. But at the end of the day, we all are human beings and we all need little pushes and positive reminders at times.

Let’s walk through a small list that will get you on your way to relaxing your mind and reconnecting with your inner, positive self to turn that vulnerability into an open mind that is ready to accept any new adventures thrown at you.

1. TAKE A STEP BACK

Just take a step back. It will depend on you how big or little that step is.

When you do, just make sure you are able to see the bigger picture. If you feel stuck or lost, just take a step back, absorb it all. If you allow yourself to simply treat the new and scary situation as just another adventure or new experience, you may find that you are able to approach it in a more positive, and achievable hill to climb over. Nothing is impossible to reach or attain, but no one said it was easy – so, prepare your mind to fight this vulnerability.

2. CLOSE YOUR EYES

Once you have taken a step back, try to practice closing your eyes for a few seconds. Taking away your sight of a scary situation in a busy and hectic world may help you to absorb the energy that the Earth is radiating, and to use that energy to plough through our struggles. Push through it, Earth is on your side.

3. PRACTICE BREATHING

I know what you are thinking: “But I already know how to breathe?”.

This is a different kind of breathing! Breathing that helps you situate your inner self within you, to elevate it, and become mindful of you – of your breathing, of the sensations of your muscles and limbs, and of the sounds and smells around you. It allows you to take a moment for you! Practicing breathing means you are practicing mindfulness. Both of these practices will help you remain calm, relaxed, and refreshed, further allowing you to reconnect with your inner self and thus, conquering your emotions and the situation you are facing. Smiling a little smile may also help – give it a go!

4. ALLOW AND ACCEPT

Are you feeling vulnerable and scared? Overwhelmed? You feel as though you cannot handle this new situation? Well, do not become stressed over these emotions that you feel. They are normal! Rather, try to allow these feelings. Let yourself really feel them. Allowing your feelings to  simply exist is a difficult practice, but you can do it. Take the allowance of all these negative or stressful feelings of vulnerability and practice accepting them as they are. If you can accept your own interpersonal emotions and be okay with them, you will allow yourself to be vulnerable. How is this a good thing, you may ask? Well, if you simply talk to your inner self and say, “Hey, I’m feeling quite vulnerable right now. But that is okay. I will do whatever I can to figure my way out.” See! You can really just be your own companion through this practice. Feelings are okay. Feeling vulnerable and anxious of new experiences is okay. We all feel it. And if you are able to accept it and move on, you are a brave soul.

5. CONQUER

Yes. You can do it. Conquer the situation at hand. Face it and deal with it now that you are relaxed, refreshed, and reconnected. Now that you have a stronger version of your vulnerable self, you will be able to deal with your emotions and set aside any negativity. Treat any new situation that makes you feel anxious as an adventure or a new experience that may just help you grow.

Simply taking a moment to step back, breathe, and absorb the bigger picture can help us to change our perspectives and deal with new situations in calm and directed ways. Breathe in, breathe out, conquer.

• read, reflect, appreciate, indulge, smile, and breathe. •
Hi, I'm Lynsey! I am a 20 something full-time Communications student at SFU, the past PR/Marketing Director of HC SFU, and current Campus Correspondent. I am also an avid literature lover, coffee consumer, and aspiring PR professional who is still fairly new to the city, as my roots are deep in the West Kootenays.  Follow me on Instagram @lynseygray, to get to know me better at lynseygray.ca, or connect with me on LinkedIn https://ca.linkedin.com/in/lynsey-gray-088755aa