Four Disney Secrets That Will Leave You Speechless 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Disney movies are at the center of everyone’s childhood. Whether you are a Snow White fan or a Frozen fan, there is a Disney movie out there for you. Disney has capitalized on creating iconic characters and timeless stories and the corporation is built on family friendly content that appeals to all ages. Disney is essentially the epitome of childhood happiness… but did you also know that Disney has a dark side?

Upon searching the Internet, I found some surprising Disney secrets you should know. Just a warning, this might alter the way you watch your favorite Disney movie next time.

Secret Sexual References

A fairly old Disney movie conspiracy claim is that Disney animators allegedly add sexual references into the movies. This is done in a very subtle way, often they are missed when watching the movie. For example, did you know in the Lion King after Simba lays down on a cliff, dust is lifted up into the night sky and briefly spells out the word “sex”? Disney animators claim the word was supposed to spell out S.F.X for their special effects department, but you be the judge of that. There are many other examples such as in the Little Mermaid VHS original cover art, there is what appears to be a golden penis blending in with the castle. In Aladdin, there is a scene where Aladdin appears to mumble “good teenagers, take off your clothes,” and the most obvious use of sexual content is highlighted in The Rescuers, when Bianca and Bernard fly through the city, and the body of a naked women can be seen. Seriously. I had to do a double take a few times to make sure it was real.  If you want more examples or want to check out the ones I have mentioned the link for a YouTube video will be linked below by ChannelFrederator.

Where to watch: YouTube

For more information: Lion King Theory

Dead Parents

This isn’t really a secret but it is quite odd that in almost every Disney movie, there is a dead parent. Ariel’s mother is dead, Bambi’s mom is murdered, Tarzan is an orphan, Simba lost his dad, Cinderella also lost her parents…. and the list goes on. For a full list, check out this article.

The rumored reason for why Disney neglected to include parents (more specifically mother in the original Disney classics), is due to the fact that Walt Disney lost his own mother due to an accidental furnace leak in the new house he had recently bought his parents.  Many people speculate he was so devastated and racked with guilt over the loss of his mother that he refused to include parents in his work. 

For more information: ENews

Not So Happily Ever After?

If all that didn’t ruin Disney movies for you, this piece of information might just do the trick.

Often, Disney movies are very wholesome and cheerful. There is almost always a happy ending and everything turns out for the best. There isn’t a whole lot of violence or gruesome elements added into the stories… or so they seem. Some of the original story ideas from Disney are actually based off the Brothers Grimm’s stories. Now the Brothers Grimm are known for their very explicit and disturbing stories involving a lot of gore to scare children from doing bad things. A long time ago, someone told me in the original Cinderella story, one of Cinderella’s step sisters cuts off her toe so her foot could fit in the glass slipper. Can you imagine Disney showcasing a scene like that?  

Perhaps the most devastating original story is The Little Mermaid. In the original book by Hans Christian Andersen’s, the little mermaid doesn’t end up with the prince. Instead she takes her own life and turns to seafoam. How tragic is that? However, that not even the saddest story adaptation, if you uncover more examples, a full detailed list will be linked below. SreenRant also created a pretty informative video featuring the real stories behind popular Disney films, which can be viewed below.

Where to watch: SreenRant

For more information: Brona’s Books

Disney Brainwashing

Is Disney brainwashing you? According to a lot of feminist researchers, the answer is yes. Disney movies portray unrealistic expectations of love, body image, and how the world works.

A common ideology shown in Disney movies is women being submissive to men. The princess is seen as helpless, weak, and in need of a dashing, brave young prince to save her from her current situation. This is why Cinderella and Snow White are often criticized for spending too much time performing domestic household tasks instead of trying to find a way to better their lives. Recently Disney has been changing this by including more and more badass female leads that don’t need a man to save them, like Elsa in Frozen.

In addition, nearly every single Disney princess has been accused of having unrealistic body images. Disney princesses characteristically have slender figures, long flowing hair and beautiful faces. Princess Jasmine from Aladdin is often viewed as overly sexualized, Ariel is seen as being far too skinny and Belle’s hour-glass figure is seen as impossible to achieve naturally. Now this might all seem like a big deal to adults, but as young, impressionable girl, I know for a fact I wish I had big, bright blue eyes and a double 0 waist line like my favourite princess Ariel.

As a diehard Ariel fan, I have always loved everything about Ariel. I love her fiery spirit, her determination to create her own destiny and her childlike curiosity. Ironically, little did I know when I was younger Ariel was a child when she ran off to be with Prince Eric. In The Little Mermaid, Ariel is 16 years old when she decided she was in love with Prince Eric and wanted to exchange her mermaid life for a human life. In the real world, Ariel would be seen as a crazy, hormonal teenager going through an obsessive crush. Now, I’m totally guilty of fantasizing that a prince will fall in love with me and we will live happily ever after in his castle. But that’s not how the world works. To read more about what feminists think about Disney movies, I highly suggest checking out this article by TheTalko.

Amneet is a 4th year communications student at Simon Fraser University. Born and raised in the city of Surrey, she loves the sound of rain, in fact she listens to rain sounds every night to help her sleep. Her favorite past times include: reading, binge watching Netflix shows and perfecting the art of sarcasm. You can get to know her more by following her Instagram: amku2500.