February Favourites You Can Get For Free

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

The lifestyle space online is popular with bloggers, YouTubers and Instagrammers alike. It’s a favourite of mine to explore, as I love reviews and the aesthetically pleasing atmosphere that the community creates when sharing content, as seen in monthly “favourite” videos or posts. However, when falling down rabbit holes of late night Youtube videos on monthly favourites, every so often I feel guilty about consuming content that is only about consuming products. Spending hours on these channels it starts to feel like watching one big long commercial. I end the binge-watching feeling almost inspired to purchase products that I don’t actually need, spending money that I don’t have, or even feeling inferior when I don’t own the highest influencer recommended foundation. Sound familiar?

The problem is we all love this content and don’t necessarily want to give up the easy watching, pretty photos, and well-curated blog posts that recommend us what to purchase month to month. So what’s the solution? I configured a list of February “favourites” that don’t cost a thing. The favourites listed below are available on Youtube and are all posts that have been inspiring in the last month and won’t take up space on your bathroom shelf or in your closet.

Creator of a website, Youtube and Instagram platform “That’s Chic” is Rachel Nguyen, an LA-based lifestyle content creator that has been featured in Vogue and worked on projects with Adobe Creative Cloud. Rachel’s content is innovative, raw and humble making the work that she does on all platforms stand out from her peers. The creativity in her fashion lookbooks and her honesty in her life advice chats (as seen in her vlogs) is a must for anyone seeking advice in the fashion world or just life in general.

Next is chrissstttiiine. (don’t forget any of the I’s). Her youtube channel comprises of segments like “a brief conversation” in which she interviews friends and industry professionals about topics from architecture, travel, photography to fashion and advice. She also films a series of home tours where she goes into her friend’s homes in different areas and shows how they have arranged the space and what is available for rent in that particular city.

Final channel recommendation is Aimee Song (Song of Style) on Youtube. Aimee’s videos are always great but have been particularly important this past month while attending Paris and New York fashion week. Aimee interviews large fashion brands, buyers, PR representatives and more. Her channel is an exclusive look that offers advice on how to get entry-level jobs and internships not only in fashion but within any cultural industry while being a student.

Next is a music video. James Blake’s video available on Youtube entitled “if the car beside you moves ahead” is a visually pleasing representation of the songs futuristic techno beats. The video is filmed with different views of city lights reflecting off of a car, giving a differing perspective to the otherwise mundane activity of driving place to place. The whole video gives off a sense of nostalgia for the late nights spent in the city and the thoughts that cloud your mind when absently gripping the wheel.

The designer of Off- White, Virgil Abloh, has his Harvard Design School Speech posted to Youtube and what better inspiration is that? The famous designer gives exclusive tips on how he runs his business including following a company mission statement and defining true values. He also goes into depth about what the “quotations” surrounding words on his work mean. I suggest you watch to “find out”.

Happy watching!

Hi I'm Claire! I'm a second year communication student at SFU. When people ask who I am, I say: writer, student, music festival enthusiast, lover of print media, Vancouverite, advocate for social change, designer, creator, life long learner, pop culture researcher, cappuccino drinker, feminist, dog lover and media theorist. I am aspiring to use my communication skills to make positive social change in the world. Connect with me at clairep@sfu.ca, follow me at claire_patty on Instagram or learn more about me at http://clairepatterson.ca/about/ !
Hi, I'm Lynsey! I am a 20 something full-time Communications student at SFU, the past PR/Marketing Director of HC SFU, and current Campus Correspondent. I am also an avid literature lover, coffee consumer, and aspiring PR professional who is still fairly new to the city, as my roots are deep in the West Kootenays.  Follow me on Instagram @lynseygray, to get to know me better at lynseygray.ca, or connect with me on LinkedIn https://ca.linkedin.com/in/lynsey-gray-088755aa