Countdown To The Holidays: 25 Ways To Get Into The Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.
  1. Get a Starbucks holiday speciality drink. (My personal favourite is the eggnog latte, a classic!)

2. Pick up an ugly vintage christmas sweater. You can find some pretty corny but spirited ones at second hand stores.

3. Buy yourself a nice smelling holiday candle.

4. Decorate your room with holiday decorations. They don’t have to cost you a fortune, you can cut out your own which will make then look perfectly imperfect. (Snowflakes are supposed to all be different anyways.)

5. Dig out the flannel form the back of your closet. This will definitely make you embrace the cold weather in a fashionable way.

6. Cozy up on a Sunday afternoon with a good book.

7. Bake cookies. A lot of them.

8. Go to VanDusen Botanical Gardens to look at the beautiful holiday light display.

9. Watch a holiday movie.

10. Add some holiday songs to your playlist (Michael Buble is my personal favourite)

11. Get out your fuzziest fuzzy socks.

12. Drink some eggnog.

13. Snuggle in front of a fireplace. No fireplace no problem, check out “Lil BUB’s Magical Yule LOG Video” (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuHZSbPJhaY). It’s absolutely adorable!

14. Get a fuzzy blanket for all those holiday snuggle sesh’s.

15. 2 words: Festive pyjamas.

16. Gather some friends and make a gingerbread house. (and then maybe eat some of it…)

17. Play in the snow and if there is enough snow, attempt a snowman.

18. Go ice skating.

19. Feel like giving back? Donating or volunteering around town is always a good way to lend a helping hands around the holidays.  

20. “The best way to spread holiday cheer is to sing loud for all to here.” -Buddy the elf (From the movieElf”, I strongly recommend  watching it.)

21. Break into song!

22. Pretend your life is a holiday romantic comedy and kiss in the snow. (it’s like kissing in the rain but holiday version.)

23. Make homemade hot chocolate on the stove top with all the toppings. It’s extra work but it’s worth it.

24. Go take a picture with friends or family with Santa at the mall.

25. Send holiday cards to your loved ones.

26. It’s cold and hats or toques are officially back in… Yay!

I am a fourth year student at the University of Ottawa in Communications studies. Throughout my studies I have obtained experience in the field in the Federal Government and have just recently been selected as an intern for a great Communications and PR firm. Aside from my work and studies I spend a whoooole lot of time and money on my wardrobe. Over the years it has become crystal clear that I have an addiction, a fashion addiction. Which leads me to affirm that I am a self proclaimed shopaholic. Shoes and purses, accessories, tops and bottoms, any component that lies within an ensemble, I love it all. My bank account has fallen prisoner and therefore victim of my serious addiction and I have decided to share the plentiful knowledge I have gathered no thanks to my "problem". The first step is acceptance, check! I hope my tips and tricks will serve the readers as they have me, although my diminishing savings account would say otherwise. Well that is me in a nutshell.
Hi, I'm Lynsey! I am a 20 something full-time Communications student at SFU, the past PR/Marketing Director of HC SFU, and current Campus Correspondent. I am also an avid literature lover, coffee consumer, and aspiring PR professional who is still fairly new to the city, as my roots are deep in the West Kootenays.  Follow me on Instagram @lynseygray, to get to know me better at lynseygray.ca, or connect with me on LinkedIn https://ca.linkedin.com/in/lynsey-gray-088755aa