Books and Beans: Vancouver Coffee Shops for College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

In the midst of the midterm madness, college students are flocking to find the perfect study spot. If the library is too quiet and home is too distracting, coffee shops provide the right balance. The relaxed ambience allows you to work peacefully while providing enough background noise (and caffeine) to keep you stimulated.

Luckily, Vancouver offers a wide selection of cafés with tables, snacks, and Wi-Fi. Here are some local favourites:

49th Parallel Coffee Roasters

If you’re familiar with Vancouver’s coffee scene, you’ve likely heard of 49th Parallel. This place is known for roasting their own beans, which are brewed and poured into their iconic turquoise mugs. Their coffee is best served with the well-loved Lucky’s Doughnuts, which is also sold in store. Treat yourself after hours of hard work!

Bonus points: Their rustic, spacious interior on Main St offers many seating arrangements so finding a spot is less of hassle.

Prado Café

Prado Café is another Vancouver classic. With four branches across Vancouver, Prado is easy to find whether you are in Gastown, Kitsilano, Mount Pleasant, or Commercial Drive. This local favourite is all about simplicity—in their drinks and in their atmosphere. Serving 49th Parallel coffee, this place is a go-to for traditional coffee drinks. Their locations are bright and airy with big windows that allow natural light (and people-watching).

Tip: Arrive early at the Gastown location. Seats fill up quickly!

Matchstick Coffee Roasters

Located in Chinatown and Mount Pleasant, Matchstick is another place that roasts their own beans. To complement their drinks, pastries are baked in-house to keep you fueled while studying. Their locations show great design sense through bright, modern décor.

If you are a fan of wide and well-lit spaces, this one is for you. Due to popular demand, it may be difficult to sit near an outlet so come early or with your laptop fully charged.

Milano Coffee Roasters

Milano serves in-house coffee with blends from around the world. Their menu is varied and offers an espresso tasting bar. The Gastown location has a slick, modern look and comfortable couches to lounge in. The Mount Pleasant store has a homey appeal with a second floor overlooking a park.

If scoring a table is your biggest concern, Milano is worth a visit. Even the Gastown location is tucked away from the area’s tourist track. While reputable, it is less hyped without compromising quality.

Cozy up in one of these spots with your books, laptop, and perhaps a friend or two. Good luck with midterms, everyone!

Hi, I'm Lynsey! I am a 20 something full-time Communications student at SFU, the past PR/Marketing Director of HC SFU, and current Campus Correspondent. I am also an avid literature lover, coffee consumer, and aspiring PR professional who is still fairly new to the city, as my roots are deep in the West Kootenays.  Follow me on Instagram @lynseygray, to get to know me better at lynseygray.ca, or connect with me on LinkedIn https://ca.linkedin.com/in/lynsey-gray-088755aa