Best Cheap Eats at SFU Burnaby

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

At the beginning of every semester, I vow to myself that I will spend less money on food. Does this ever happen? Well, no. While brown-bagging it is a good idea in theory, a warm cheese sandwich just isn’t appetizing, no matter how hungry you are.

If you’re one of the unfortunate few with a twelve-hour school day, you might have no choice but to buy food on campus. Don’t worry, though – this doesn’t mean you have to empty your wallet for overpriced meals! I’ve scouted out some of SFU’s best cheap eats, all for under $10.

1. All-day breakfast at Mackenzie Café

I will tell anyone who will listen about the all-day breakfast at Mackenzie Café. For about $5, you get four slices of toast, hashbrowns, two eggs cooked to your liking, and a choice of bacon, ham, or sausage. There are also bagels, breakfast sandwiches, and other breakfast options. The line-up is usually pretty long (especially at noon), but totally worth it.

2. Tacos, burritos, and burrito bowls at Quesada

It took me almost five years to discover Quesada, a burrito joint located at Cornerstone. Burritos start at $4.99, and tacos, burrito bowls, and salads cost under $10. I have friends who swear by this place and go here almost every week.

3. Sushi at Mackenzie Café

At first I was sceptical of the sushi at Mackenzie Café (bad sushi is too easy to come by), but I was pleasantly surprised by the avocado and yam rolls. It definitely isn’t the best sushi, but this is my go-to place for when I want something light and somewhat healthy.

4. Artisan sandwiches at Mackenzie Café

This sandwich bar is essentially a gourmet version of Subway: for about $8, you get a sandwich with your choice of bread, protein, spread, and toppings (including avocado, roasted vegetables, capers, and more.) Sure, it’s pricey for a sandwich, but I can guarantee that every bite is worth the money – plus, they’re so filling, you probably won’t be hungry for hours afterward.

5. $3 legendary burgers at Triple O’s

Okay, so Triple O’s probably isn’t the healthiest option, but legendary burgers are only $3 on Tuesdays. Need I say more?

6. $3 appetizers during Happy Hour at Club Ilia

If you’re looking for a sit-down restaurant, Club Ilia is the place to go. From 3-5 p.m. daily, select appetizers are only $3.

7. Vegan and vegetarian combos at the Ladle

Vegan and vegetarian options can be harder to come by on campus (I mean, there’s a reason I was vegetarian for only a week). The Ladle, which is located in Higher Grounds at Maggie Benston Centre, offers a variety of vegan- and vegetarian-friendly meal choices, from soups and salads to tofu nuggets and veggie dogs. Single items are under $5, and combos are under $10.

8. Everything at Tim Hortons

Tim’s is a Canadian staple for a reason. Who doesn’t love cheap coffee and bagels?

Former SFU student.