*ALERT* Introducing Fully Booked with Her Campus at SFU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

If you have been manifesting a book club at SFU, I have great news for you. The stars are aligned and Her Campus at SFU is happy to announce Fully Booked with Her Campus at SFU, our new book club! 

Our book club is going to have monthly meetings during our regularly scheduled weekly meetings (join us on discord to always know about meeting times). During the meetings we will discuss and gossip about everything regarding said book. If you can’t attend our meetings, that is okay! We have an asynchronous option where our editorial team will provide everything you missed during our tea session through articles. Make sure to check our website frequently to keep up to date.

One slight problem! We have not decided on which book we will read this semester. So, we need your help. 

I have provided a summary of each book in the running to be our main focus for the semester below. At the end of this article there will be a link to a Google Form that will let you vote on which book you would like us to read.

“Becoming by Michelle Obama”

This personal and deep memoir reflects on the life of Michelle Obama. From growing up in Chicago to walking down the halls of the White House as a First Lady, this book details every moment that led Michelle to become an icon. If you’re into accolades this book is a New York Times best selling memoir.

“Americanah” By Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Americanah features almost every theme you can have in a book! From migration to romance to Americanization to race, there is everything! I may be a little bit biased, but this may be the best book I have read all year. The story follows two Nigerian adults named Ifemelu and Obinze. Once high school sweethearts living under a military dictatorship their lives find them separated as Ifemelu leaves for university in America. The novel mainly traces Ifemelu’s life in America and the struggles that occur within the country as well as her return back to Nigeria.

“In Five Years” By Rebecca Serle

In Five Years is a love story, but with who? You’ll have to find out because you’ll never guess! This book is not what you’d expect since it has a very common theme of a successful woman in New York City with a hot finance bro fiancé, Serle definitely twists that narrative. The protagonist, Danielle, has a dream or vision, however you’d like to call it, of her life in five years as completely different to her current day, especially as she no longer has that hot finance bro around her apartment anymore, but rather a raggedy man. Vote for In Five Years to learn more!

in five years rebecca serle
Original photo by Allie Nowak
“The Forest of Stolen Girls” by June Hur

Based in the 1400s, The Forest of Stolen Girls follows the story of Hwani returning to her hometown. However, her hometown is also the place she was kidnapped in, but was later released. Her return is seeded in her curiosity to find her father who had gone missing investigating the disappearance of thirteen girls as well. Sounds like lots of drama and mystery! As well as very unfortunate events, but Sydney (Senior Editor) said it’s a good read and I trust her opinion!

“The Spanish Love Deception” By Elena Armas

Did you really think we could have a list of books without mentioning a classic enemies to lovers story? Of course not, they are all such good reads. The Spanish Love Deception follows Catalina, a Spanish woman living in New York City who has to go back to Spain for her sister’s wedding. Chaotically, Catalina needs a date for the wedding and Aaron offers to be her date. The problem is that Aaron is terribly annoying and we won’t spoil the rest for you, but there is definitely going to be heaps of drama in this book.

“Everything I know about love” By Dolly Alderton

This book is also a memoir, but it primarily focuses on love, career, and friendship in a very fun way. This book has something everyone can relate to with growing up and the awkward years of adulthood. Good reads calls this book “like Bridget Jones’ Diary, but true” and if that isn’t enough to make you want to read this book and I don’t know what else will.

Here you have it! Six incredible books and now you have been tasked to pick one or a couple that you’d be interested in reading. Please forgive me for giving you the hardest task of your undergraduate career, but it will be worth it in the long run (I hope). 

Vote through this Google Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1KdP1uu3VgYrb1ED1p_NkEW4b2AWe4QsAiqYv-uplOGg/edit

Kiara is an International Studies major concentrating in International Security and Conflict with a minor in Labour Studies at Simon Fraser University.