Affordable Ways to Travel this Summer Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

The end of the semester is approaching, and I don’t know about you, but I cannot wait for summer!  While planning a getaway for the upcoming summer break, I realized just how expensive travelling can be. However, you can’t let your student budget get you down. I have devised a list of the best ways to travel this summer without going broke!

1. Affordable Alternatives to Hotels

If you’re struggling to find an inexpensive hotel that isn’t super sketchy and won’t potentially give you bedbugs, there are some awesome alternatives to staying in a hotel. A lot of people rent out their homes in the summer to vacationers, so do your research online before you spend big bucks on a luxurious hotel. I recommend checking out sites like Airbnb and VRBO.

2. Transportation Options

Depending on how far you’re travelling, it may be possible to get away with a cheaper alternative to a flight. Make sure you check out all the alternatives to travelling by plane before you go. If you’re going overseas, it essential to look up the cheapest flight times. Days of the week, time of day and layover flights all play into bringing down the cost of flights. If you don’t mind taking a redeye or multiple flights, then this is a thrifty way to purchase a flight.

3. Look for Student Discounts

There are lots of websites for more affordable travel prices for students. Flight and hotel discounts can be really helpful for students. I recommend checking StudentUniverse.com for some great deals on travel expenses.

4. Pack Lightly

I know, it’s easier said than done, but it can help save you money! If you’re flying, many airlines charge extra for bringing luggage. However, every passenger is allowed a free carry-on bag. If you can, try to limit the amount of clothes you bring, and pack them all into your carry-on. It will also save you time when deciding what to wear!

5. Camping

Living in BC, there are so many beautiful parks and camping sites. Camp sites can be pretty inexpensive to rent and super fun in the summer time. Just pack a tent, a sleeping bag, and some smores supplies and you’re good to go! It’s a fun and affordable way to getaway from the city for a weekend and enjoy the outdoors.

6. If All Else Fails, Have a Staycation!

Don’t feel discouraged if your budget or schedule won’t allow you to travel this summer. You can always throw a staycation. Get some of your friends together and hang out at a local beach, and then have a relaxing night at home. DIY facials and manicures are a must!

Happy Summer Everyone!!

Hello there! My name is Genevieve Gignac. I am currently a 2nd year Communications student at Simon Fraser University in British Columbia. My favourite articles to write are about fashion, beauty, pop culture, and current events. Originally, I grew up in Toronto, Ontario, but I moved with my family to Vancouver when I was 11 years old. My hobbies include keeping active by hiking or doing pilates at the gym, hanging out with my family and friends, and binging my favourite shows on Netflix. After university, I aspire to use my Communication degree to work in PR, events co-ordinating, and social media. You can keep up with my articles here, or follow me on Instagram: @genevieve_gignac
Hi, I'm Lynsey! I am a 20 something full-time Communications student at SFU, the past PR/Marketing Director of HC SFU, and current Campus Correspondent. I am also an avid literature lover, coffee consumer, and aspiring PR professional who is still fairly new to the city, as my roots are deep in the West Kootenays.  Follow me on Instagram @lynseygray, to get to know me better at lynseygray.ca, or connect with me on LinkedIn https://ca.linkedin.com/in/lynsey-gray-088755aa