7 Things You Have to Do This Summer in Vancouver

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

The spring semester is almost over, and for those of us taking a semester off in the summer, we will have more free time on our hands! Not to fear, because I’ve compiled a list of “must dos” for you and your friends this summer in Vancouver!

Stanley Park

A classical Vancouver hangout, it’s a great place to relax, walk, or bike around and enjoy the beauty! In the summer time, the park offers carriage rides, as well as shows by “TUTS” (Theatre Under the Stars). This year, TUTS is performing the musicals, Beauty and the Beast and West Side Story, which run from July 6th to August 20th in the Malkin Bowl in the park.

The Sea Wall

A beautiful setting, you can ride along the sea wall and enjoy the view! It’ll make for a nice day outing for you and your friends! And may I suggest a picnic lunch?

Star Gazing

You can watch the stars at the GMS Observatory next to the HR MacMillian Space Center. Admission is by donation, and public viewing is offered Friday and Saturday evenings beginning in July and ending in early September.

The Celebration of Light

This world-class event is located at English Bay and is completely free! Bring a blanket to sit on and watch the fireworks on July 23rd, 27th and 30th this year starting at 10pm. This year, there will even be a show by the Walt Disney Company!

Pride Parade

Even if you aren’t apart of the LGBTQ+ community, this parade is tons of fun! Dress up in rainbow colours and come out to Davie Street on July 31st to have a great time!

Science World

If you have the desire to learn something new during the summer, check out Science World! The feature exhibition this summer is Top Secret: License to Spy, in which you and your friends get to become a secret agent for a day and discover who dun it!

Vancouver Zoo

If you love animals, then this is the place to go. Here you can rent a cart with a friend and bike around to look at the exotic animals of the zoo! (You must be 19+ to rent a bike.) In addition, let’s not forget the cute stuffed animals you can take home as a souvenir! 

Deborah is an English major and Linguistics minor with a mild Peter Pan complex. She is an avid tea-drinker and shower singer whose favourite pastime is napping. Her goal in life is to one day touch Harry Styles's hair.