5 WOC You Need to Listen to in 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

2017 was a great year for women in the music industry. We saw our homegirl, Cardi B earning her first three Billboard’s Hot 100 in the top 10 at the same time. This has only ever happened to two other artists, Ashanti and The Beatles. We also saw more women artists such as Kehlani, Fifth Harmony, Halsey and Camila Cabello dominating the charts. We have definitely seen a spike in female artists, however men still dominate the music industry. Looking back at 2017’s Billboard Music Awards, only 11 out of 53 categories were won by female artists. That’s only 20% of the categories won by women. Let that sink in.

We’ve got a long way to go before we can truly believe that the playing field is equal.

Let’s make 2018 a year full of women-empowerment and supporting women of all backgrounds! I’m so excited to share new, inspiring women for you to expand your musical horizons. I hope there’s a little something for everyone.

1. @fotanlaiki If you like 88rising, Fotan Laiki is right up your alley. The young trapstar from Hong Kong raps in Cantonese and a little bit of English. She’s 22, didn’t go to university and angry with the world. Give her a listen when you’re angry with the world too.

2. @sza Sza’s 2017 album called “CTRL” is about her tales with her now ex-boyfriend. She’s a woman that tells things like it is, and she’s unapologetic about it. She’s not afraid to say that the love game sucks and it’s okay to hurt. She’s in touch with love delicacies, and it’s worth putting effort in it, but it’s going to be a long, road filled with many obstacles.

3. @pinkcaravan pinkcaravan! has a tune that is happy-go-lucky and bubbly. It’s perfect for listening to in the mornings when you’re putting on makeup or eating breakfast. She has been making music seriously for about two years now, and I can’t wait to see what else she comes up with.

4. @kraejiyaeji Yaeji is a Korean-American artist that is another woman to look out for. Her style of music is a blend of house music and mellow hip-hop. She often mixes both English and Korean to express herself. Yaeji is something you put on in the background on a chill night in with friends who like hip-hop with a twist.

5. @zamaera Zamaera is Malaysia’s very own female rapper. She’s a 22 year old whose rap style is mean, grungy and sassy, just like her. She’s punny and a feminist. Her tracks are ones you put on when you want to feel like a boss!

That’s it for now. The future is female, let’s start paying more attention to women across the globe! Hope you gals enjoy these women as much as I do! 

I'm a small girl who likes to try everything once. I love seeking thrills, makeup and Netflix.
Hi, I'm Lynsey! I am a 20 something full-time Communications student at SFU, the past PR/Marketing Director of HC SFU, and current Campus Correspondent. I am also an avid literature lover, coffee consumer, and aspiring PR professional who is still fairly new to the city, as my roots are deep in the West Kootenays.  Follow me on Instagram @lynseygray, to get to know me better at lynseygray.ca, or connect with me on LinkedIn https://ca.linkedin.com/in/lynsey-gray-088755aa