5 Ways To Tackle Your “Monday Blues”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Or just the fact that Friday is too far away to reach.

We’ve all had them. Our energies are high at the start of the day. We think we have more energy and willpower than we actually do and before we know it, it’s not even mid day yet and we crash. It’s a no-brainer that how we feel emotionally affects everything that we do, but these emotions can also trickle down to those around you. Researchers Nicholas Christakis and James Fowler have discovered that much like a virus, our mood such as happiness or even stress and anxiety can be spread through indirect relationships such as through social networks. And what more socializing is there than on campus? Here’s how to stand up to Mondays and get your groove back – before we let the funk take over us.

1. Look good, feel good.

Wear something that makes you feel good on the inside. Feeling good about yourself is so vital when it comes to how you perform throughout the day. A good fall jacket and comfy yet stylish sneakers have the power to take you far. For some fall inspiration to amp up your campus style, check out our Pinterest

2. Take breaks to recuperate.

Just because today is a Monday doesn’t mean your day needs to be hell. Treat today like a Saturday. Give yourself breaks and do things that make you feel like your weekend isn’t over. A perfect way to to do this is to kick back and relax after your classes. Whether this may be at 4PM or even 8PM, save the rest of your hours today doing activities that trick your mind into thinking it’s only.. well, Monday.

3. Change up your playlist.

Take control of your mood today by blasting feel good songs. Need help? Start with this

4. Happy Hour? 

Is that even a question? Hell yes. Have a drink, or two and just rewind. Your day is almost over anyway.

5. End the day with a long, hot bath. 

If you don’t have one, take a long hot shower. It works exactly the same! If your legs are tired, go as extreme as grabbing a stool to sit down. There is nothing more therapeutic than hot water opening up your pores and soaking up your skin. Play some music. Maybe even light a candle. Before you know it, your stress will be entirely out the window. 

Only 4 more days to go, collegiettes!

Terri is currently a fourth-year Communication major at Simon Fraser University and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus SFU. Hailing from Hong Kong and raised in Vancouver, she has grown to love the outdoors and mountains of BC. Her favourite pastimes are reading historical fiction, hiking, lying on the beach drinking mojitos and attempting to snowboard. You can get to know her more on Instagram and Twitter at @terriling.