5 Tips to Surviving Winter at SFU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Going to school on a mountain is not easy when it comes to winter. As you drive up the mountain the rain changes to snow and the mountain becomes covered in a white blanket. It may look nice from the outside but when you’re actually going to the school the snow is far from beautiful. With buses and cars not being able to make it up or down the mountain and temperatures dropping well under 0, here are a few tips to survive winter at Simon Fraser University.

1. Warm Shoes

Wearing your normal sneakers will not cut it during the winter on the mountain. As busses are unable to make it up the mountain at their usual rate you may be waiting outside for longer than usual, and that means standing in the snow or puddles of rain. Walking to your car will also mean you walk through piles of snow or rain. My tip is: wear warm, waterproof shoes! Your feet are going to get soaked and getting that pair of Hunter boots or waterproof shoes will save your feet!

1. Follow @SFU on Twitter

SFU’s Twitter account will be your best friend during the winter season! They

tweet regularly during winter and will provide updates on school closures, weather conditions on the mountain and Translink delays. (Also look at @Translink for bus/skytrain delays). Overall, social media is your best friend to stay updated on SFU’s winter conditions.

1. Prepare Your Backpack

Always have some emergency materials in your backpack in case you do get

stuck waiting for the bus outside in the cold. Ensure you have some snacks in your backpack, gloves, toques and anything else that will help you stay warm.

1. Dress warm

This is a simple tip but do not forget to dress warm! In addition to waterproof shoes it is important to wear warm jackets, toques, gloves etc. to ensure you are warm in case you have to wait outside longer than usual. Layer up! It is better to be overdressed than underdressed for cold weather.

1. Drive Safe

Ensure you are giving yourself ample time to arrive to your classes. As snow sometimes hits during finals it is important to leave earlier than usual so you are not rushing to get to your exam. The road to the mountain gets very slippery and drivers must drive slower and carefully to stay safe. Get snow tires, and make sure you are driving a car that is safe for winter conditions. If not, it may be better to take transit on your trip up to SFU when the snow hits.

Remember to stay safe and be prepared for winter weather at SFU!

Hi, I'm Lynsey! I am a 20 something full-time Communications student at SFU, the past PR/Marketing Director of HC SFU, and current Campus Correspondent. I am also an avid literature lover, coffee consumer, and aspiring PR professional who is still fairly new to the city, as my roots are deep in the West Kootenays.  Follow me on Instagram @lynseygray, to get to know me better at lynseygray.ca, or connect with me on LinkedIn https://ca.linkedin.com/in/lynsey-gray-088755aa