5 TED Talks By Women For Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

In 2017, we learned that girl power is very much relevant. This year involved events like the women’s march, the #MeToo campaign, and the rise of strong female characters in pop culture. To continue this discussion, here are five TED talks for female empowerment:

1. Why we have too few women leaders by Sheryl Sandberg

“I think a world where half of our countries and our companies were run by women would be a better world.”

Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg shares her experience as one of the few female executives at the C-suite of the business world. Despite advances in civil rights and career choices, she notes the lack of businesswomen in leadership positions. She links this problem to a lack of confidence and the expectation to be the sole caretaker of children. Although Sandberg recognizes this as a part of a systemic issue, she gives advice on what women can do as individuals. She delivers three key messages for the aspiring #GIRLBOSS: sit at the table, make your partner a real partner, and don’t leave before you leave. Essentially, these points encourage women to be active in the workforce and seize opportunities for advancement.

2. Teach girls bravery, not perfection by Reshma Saujani

“Most girls are taught to avoid risk and failure. We’re taught to smile pretty, play it safe, get all A’s. Boys, on the other hand, are taught to play rough, swing high, crawl to the top of the monkey bars and then just jump off headfirst.”

Reshma Saujani believes that society raises girls to be perfect while boys to be brave. To her, women have been socialized to approach challenges differently. She describes how traditional norms expect women to avoid rocking the boat and making mistakes. While grace and standards can go a long way, this quest for perfection causes women to take fewer risks. They ask fewer questions, hesitate to apply for certain jobs, and shy away from challenging ideas. Saujani believes that this is why females are underrepresented in STEM fields, boardrooms, and governments. More significantly, women miss out on opportunities to expand their knowledge and develop resiliency. As the founder of Girls Who Code, Saujani is determined to change this notion.

3. Looks aren’t everything. Believe me, I’m a model. by Cameron Russell

“Image is powerful, but also, image is superficial.”

With a slender figure and symmetrical features, Cameron Russell admits that she won the genetic lottery. It landed her with opportunities to represent Victoria’s Secret, Calvin Klein, and other fashion labels. Russell shares her experience to take a critical look at the modelling industry. She insists that the photoshoots we see do not represent her true self. They are merely constructions curated by a team of photographers, stylists, makeup artists, and digital artists. Behind the glitz and glamour is a carefully planned production process and strict maintenance of one’s body. To Russell, this makes image superficial and unworthy of the envy it receives. In fact, she admits that many models including herself are insecure due to the constant pressure to look their best. Years of modelling has tied her identity and self-worth to her looks. This honest talk reminds us that physical beauty alone cannot guarantee satisfaction.

4. Your body language may shape who you are by Amy Cuddy

“Don’t fake it until you make it. Fake it until you become it. Do it enough until you actually become it and internalize.”

Confidence may not always come from how we look, but how we carry ourselves. Amy Cuddy, a social psychologist, discusses how body language can alter our perceptions and behaviour. She finds that pretending to be powerful can actually increase our confidence. She combines scientific findings with personal anecdotes to explain this theory. Cuddy describes how “power posing” can make us feel more confident by altering testosterone and cortisol levels in the brain. Even small changes like standing tall, sitting straight, and placing ourselves near the middle of the room (rather than shrinking in the sidelines) can lead to big improvements. She recommends these tweaks before job interviews, during presentations and discussions, or even casual social situations.

5. The power of vulnerability by Brené Brown

“I know that vulnerability is the core of shame and fear and our struggle for worthiness, but it appears that it’s also the birthplace of joy, of creativity, of belonging, of love.”

The previous talks discuss traditional displays of strength like confidence and intellect. This heartfelt speech reminds us that there is also strength in being soft. Social psychologist Brené Brown discusses the secret behind meaningful human connection. According to her research, people gain a strong sense of love and belonging when they believe that they are worthy of love and belonging. Once this belief is in place, they allow themselves to be vulnerable—even when it means being imperfect. These are the people who say ‘hi’ first. They share an idea that might be criticized. They express appreciation and gratitude, but also fear and struggle. They take the leap where there is no guarantee, believing that the reward is worth the risk. To Brown, connection is born from being open-hearted.

Kick off the new year with inspiration from these admirable women. They remind us to power through our resolutions by keeping our professional and personal lives in check. As a famous saying goes, empowered women empower women.

Hi, I'm Lynsey! I am a 20 something full-time Communications student at SFU, the past PR/Marketing Director of HC SFU, and current Campus Correspondent. I am also an avid literature lover, coffee consumer, and aspiring PR professional who is still fairly new to the city, as my roots are deep in the West Kootenays.  Follow me on Instagram @lynseygray, to get to know me better at lynseygray.ca, or connect with me on LinkedIn https://ca.linkedin.com/in/lynsey-gray-088755aa