5 Romantic Television Shows from the Early 2000s to Binge-Watch this Valentine’s Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Are you ready to immerse yourself in TV series full of corny romances and hip-huggers jeans? I know you are! That’s why I am sharing this list of recommendations of television shows from early 2000’s (and some from the late 90s, but shhh…). Many of these shows will have you thinking “Wow! That actor was once hot and young!”  or “O.M.G! No one says things like that”. These shows can be so corny that your standards in romance might increase to a level of being completely unachievable.

1. Roswell

Here I am cheating a little bit because this show was released in October 1999, but to be fair, most of the episodes were released during the 2000s. This show is basically Twilight but with Aliens, and with—maybe—less creepy characters. This show is filled with bad visual effects (but what could I expect from a 2000’s show for teenagers) and with characters proclaiming that they have found their soulmates when they are in high school and around seventeen. The weird thing about this show is that even though it is incredibly corny, it’s super addictive and it makes my hopeless romantic side happy. Plus you can find it on Netflix!

FYI: The CW ordered a reboot. So, we might get a new Roswell show soon!

2. One Tree Hill

I haven’t watched this show, but by the number of people that recommend it seems like it was the best show ever… okay, that’s an exaggeration, but a lot of people do keep telling me to watch it. So finally I asked them what was so great about One Tree Hill and why it needed to be here. Briefly, they say that it is dramatic almost too the point where it feels like a telenovela… okay, that’s another exaggeration, but they did say that there is some slapping every once in a while. But at the end, One Tree Hill is more than just drama, and there are points where it feels relatable to a certain degree, and characters are more profound than expected. The romance is intense. The soundtrack is good, which is, apparently, a requirement for all teen dramas. Quotes are catchy and meaningful enough that you might end up sharing it through social media. And I almost forgot to mention that the relationships might leave you crying or something similar.  

3. Veronica Mars

Is there a cooler character than Veronica Mars? Yes, probably, but that does not mean that Veronica Mars is not one of the coolest characters ever. She is sassy, smart, a detective, and played by Kristen Bell!  The romances are intense and have interesting twists. But honestly, Veronica Mars is not only about love; it is a show that touches a range of issues that go from murder to disappearances. And the ending can leave you so hung-up that you might decide to watch the movie, which was released in 2014, and as an interesting fact, it was partially funded by the fans via Kickstarter. That´s some commitment!   

4. The O.C

Before Gossip Girl, there was a little show called The O.C., which has the most catchy intro song ever. This is the type of show where love is a necessity, and it’s what moves everything. The romance is a cliché, but that’s what makes it appealing, and the main OTP will have you wanting them together from pretty much the first scene they have together. Also, the show is so full of drama that this one does feel like a telenovela.  But as a piece of advice …don’t get too attached!

5. Charmed

If I was cheating with Roswell, I am pretty much-committing fraud with Charmed, because this show was released in October 1998, but let’s just ignore that fact. Charmed was one of my favourite shows while growing up. It is the one show that I actually watched the final episode on the day it was released, and that’s saying a lot for someone who has a problem committing to long-running series. The storyline is pretty interesting, and while the show does get weaker as the seasons passed, it is still pretty enjoyable by the end. But moving to the romance, the show lasted for eight years, so its importance varies depending on the season. Some seasons are super romantic, and some barely have anything. The couples either go from the fairy-tale type to the intense ones, but all of them have some magic.

I am a 4th-year communication student at Simon Fraser University. I was born and raised in Mexico City, and I decided to study in Vancouver as a way to start exploring the world, and although I love Canada, hopefully, it is only my first stop. My favorite pastimes include: reading, writing, discovering new places to eat, and watching movies and television shows.
Hi, I'm Lynsey! I am a 20 something full-time Communications student at SFU, the past PR/Marketing Director of HC SFU, and current Campus Correspondent. I am also an avid literature lover, coffee consumer, and aspiring PR professional who is still fairly new to the city, as my roots are deep in the West Kootenays.  Follow me on Instagram @lynseygray, to get to know me better at lynseygray.ca, or connect with me on LinkedIn https://ca.linkedin.com/in/lynsey-gray-088755aa