5 Beautiful Qualities to Possess

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

As I’ve grown up, I’ve learned that there are certain qualities that people possess that draw me to them instantly. Often, if there is something about someone that I undoubtedly respect or admire, I will try to bring that quality to my own life and actions. I think it’s so important to be around people that push you to grow, to make decisions on your own, give input when necessary, and support you even if you make mistakes. Whether it’s the environment we work in, the company we keep, or the people we allow to hold our hands (literally and figuratively), it’s important to know that the circle of people you keep in your life affects your decisions, actions, beliefs, and values. Over the years, I’ve picked up bad habits. I’ve picked up wonderful habits. I’ve learned from others. I’ve gained invaluable skills. I’ve inspired others and been inspired right back. Think of it as a circle. Whatever you do and say, it’ll impact others. What others do and say, impact you as well. It’s crucial to keep that circle as supportive, strong, and caring as possible. Bring out the good in others, and let them bring out the strength and possibility in you. 

1. Passion

To me, this is such an important quality. When someone is goal-oriented, passionate, and working hard to achieve a dream of theirs, or to finish a task, it shows that they aren’t afraid of challenges derailing them. I respect people with passion so much. It doesn’t matter if they’re passionate about their career, their hobby, their education, or an interest. If someone is putting in effort for something that brings them joy and growth, it’s inspiring to know that they can feel rewarded doing something they enjoy. 

2. Enthusiasm 

Enthusiasm is one of those qualities that I’ve thankfully been blessed with. I find that when you can get happy about the little things in life, the big things come easily. Understanding that the simple things in life were just as wonderful as major things was a game changer. There’s so many wonderful things to revel in, and they don’t always have to be luxurious, expensive, time-consuming, or daring and exciting. When you take the time to slow down and allow yourself to unabashedly enjoy the tiny things the world has to offer, you begin to appreciate your life so much more. Good things come in small packages (and sometimes big ones …. but neither are any more or less wonderful). 

3. Honesty

Wearing your heart on your sleeve isn’t something many people enjoy, and it can be easy to see why. We often feel like others will judge us for our decisions, we may think that there’s no reason to share with others our innermost feelings, or we may think that people couldn’t possibly care about what we have to say. I think the world is interested in having a conversation. It can be hard to find the want or need to open up and be vulnerable or honest with others. Whether it’s because we want to protect our hearts and look out for ourselves, or because we feel like our voices don’t mean anything, people often hold back on saying what they truly feel and believe. I value honesty an incredible amount, because if you keep the lines of communication open with yourself and with the world, there is hardly anything that you can’t find a solution or compromise to

4. Patience

Often, we ask for things in life and expect them to come easily to us or in a short period of time. Over time, we realize that many things may take a long while to come to fruition, or perhaps they just might never come at all. Being patient is something that we don’t think much about in a fast-paced world, but patience gives us the gift of knowing that what will be, will be. Things happen when they are supposed to, and the only way we can allow it to happen is to hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. Being patient means that you put the most of yourself out there, and you give it your all, but understand that even dreams and miracles take time to come true. 

5. Compassion

Last, but certainly not least. Compassion has always been something that I’ve held true to myself, and find that it has helped me in every single way. I wholeheartedly believe that if we’re kinder to others and have more empathy and compassion for the people around us, the world really will become a better place. Think of all the times that you were knocked down low, but someone did or said something (whether big or small) that made your day glimmer a little brighter. I always admire people that look out for others. Whether you’re speaking out for someone who is being kicked down, or speaking for those that don’t have a voice, compassion can turn somebody’s day (or life) around as well as yours. I value compassion and kindness so greatly. Perhaps this one means the most to me, because a little bit of compassion goes a long way, and it can feel as if there’s never enough of it to go around. Give what you can when you see something or someone that needs a little support. It’ll come back to you, I promise. 

Elvira Chan is a third year Communication and Print & Digital Publishing student at Simon Fraser University. Passionate about telling stories that have an impact, she is an advocate for creating change through words and conversations. A blog writer, storyteller, student, and explorer, Elvira has worked, written, and volunteered for several organizations revolving around media, education, and tourism. She hopes to pursue a career in the publishing industry as well as the healthcare industry.