Pictures of my best friend taken by me.
Pictures of my best friend taken by me.
Original photo by Aleena Zaidi
Style

4 Work from Home Outfits to Keep You Comfy and Cozy on That Zoom Call

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

We all wish we could hop on our Zoom meetings in our favourite sweat set – but that look doesn’t exactly scream professionalism (who made that a rule, anyway?). I am someone who loves to dress up in the most secretly casual way, so the workplace to home transition had nothing on me.

I love getting all dressed up just to take five steps away from my bed and sit at my desk because my outfits make me feel good! I hope this helps you find some ideas to keep you looking chic without costing you comfort.

The Classic: business on top, sweatpants down low.

Admit it, we’ve all done this. How else could we survive rolling out of bed at 7:45am to hop on that Zoom call by 8am? It’s just so much easier to put on some mascara, button up that white blouse that hasn’t seen any light of day except that of your laptop screen’s brightness, and hit Join Meeting from the comfort of your slouchy, stretchy sweatpants. They said we’re business casual now, right?

Sweaters Galore

If you’re someone like me that can’t stay awake until you’ve detached yourself from anything associated with your bed (i.e sweats or pajamas), you’re going to need some good knit sweaters in your wardrobe. When working from home, any outfit that separates work from home is the key to my success. So I love styling my favourite chunky knit sweaters with some soft and stretchy workout leggings. I almost feel like it tricks my brain into thinking we’re working out rather than working, and that is good enough for me. 

If you’re not feeling pants at all, sweater dresses are going to be your best friend. What’s better than a big comfy sweater? Well obviously a longer big comfy sweater that’s socially acceptable to wear without pants. Absolute game changer.

Bold Blazers

Blazers are not what they used to be, now that oversized is the way to go. Here me out: your best fitted or oversized t-shirt, with your coveted thrifted or boyfriend style blazer thrown over top. We don’t have to restrict ourselves anymore with peplum blouses neatly belted under perfectly tailored blazers. That is one 2000s outfit that we can leave behind. Big bold blazers are calling for us and I plan on answering.

Just Wear the Hoodie

Casual Fridays are living up to its name more than ever these days. That being said, if your employer has said that it’s okay to show up in a hoodie, by all means go for it. But not without some quick advice first! They say dress for success, and you can still do that in a hoodie -but perhaps in something a little nicer than that bright red hoodie with your university’s name stitched across it. I think anything can be dressed up with a nice colour. Pastels are a great way to brighten a mood and a meeting. As we head into spring, I’ve been seeing some beautifully coloured sweat sets in sage green, pale pink, baby blue, and more! Add some accessories and you’re golden. Layered necklaces and chunky hoop earrings can do wonders for a simple outfit. Casual as ever, but still trendy with a colour story.

Coco Chanel once said, “everyday is a fashion show and the world is the runway.” Well now those little frames on Zoom are the runway. So with these looks, say goodbye to FW21 and hello to WFH21.

Hello! My name is Jaymee and I'm a Communication Major at SFU. I love art, fashion, and getting over-dressed for the grocery store. I'm also a Graphics Coordinator for Her Campus SFU!
Abigail is a third-year International Studies major and Communications minor at Simon Fraser University. She is very passionate about learning more about the world around her and aspires to pursue journalism in the future. In her spare time, she is an avid Netflix lover, ice cream enthusiast, and BTS fangirl.