Style > Beauty

4 Vancouver Based Beauty and Wellness Companies to Keep Celebrating #IWD2021

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Although International Women’s Day just passed, everyday should be a day to celebrate and honor women and non-binary folks’ achievements and experiences. In our patriarchal world, it can be a struggle to navigate and find autonomy over our bodies and so this week I am writing this article to create space for self-care by featuring Vancouver based beauty and wellness brands that can help you get there. 

Charlie & Paisley 

Products: Scrunchies, Face Masks, and Accessories

Three Hashtags to Describe Them: #SlowFashion, #DreamyAesthetic, #LimitedReleases

Why We Love Them: Not only are their handmade products beautifully designed, but they are also all made from sustainably sourced materials such as deadstock (waste fabric and material often created by fast fashion brands) or organic materials. 

Fun Fact: The founder is an SFU alumni!

Mala the Brand 

Products: Soy Candles

Three Hashtags to Describe Them: #VeganCandles #MinimalistAesthetic #BuyOnePlantOne

Why We Love Them: Whether you want your space to smell like warm cookies (Milk + Sugar) or like the wild outdoors (Fireside), Mala the Brand has a candle for you. Everything from their packaging to the candle wick has been sustainably sourced and thoughtfully designed. 

Fun Fact: Owned by another SFU alumni, this brand plants a tree for every candle you purchase!

Sappho New Paradigm 

Products: Make Up

Three Hashtags to Describe Them: #CleanBeauty #CrueltyFree #Representation

Why We Love Them: Their products are vegan (no animal products used), cruelty free (no animal testing), and are working towards becoming a sustainable brand. They offer a wide range of shades in their make-up, all of which are produced without using harsh or toxic ingredients like parabens, phthalates, or silicone that are often found in popular makeup. 

Harlow Skin Co. 

Products: Skin, Body, and Hair Care

Three Hashtags to Describe Them: #WholeIngredients #NatureAesthetic #HarlowGlow

Why We Love Them: No matter what you’re looking for, whether that’s products for sensitive skin, dry hair, or some sort of combination, Harlow Skin Co has you covered. Their products are made with minimal ingredients that are easily understandable, like shea butter and jojoba oil. They also have a beautifully curated storefront that you can visit if you live in Vancouver. 

Fun Fact: To be more sustainable, they offer certain products that are refillable! 

The next time the itch for retail therapy creeps up, treat yourself to something from one of these awesome, environmentally conscious, women-led brands. Sometimes self-care means treating yourself, and why not support local while you’re at it? Happy shopping!

Rie (she/her) is currently in her last year of her Communications and Economics undergrad at Simon Fraser University. She is passionate about using her education and platform to create spaces for conversation around social issues and would like her career to centre in the nonprofit and social justice sector. In her free time, she can be found overthinking, dancing, or cooking. She would also like to acknowledge that she graciously works and lives on the unceded territory of the Sylix people.
Abigail is a third-year International Studies major and Communications minor at Simon Fraser University. She is very passionate about learning more about the world around her and aspires to pursue journalism in the future. In her spare time, she is an avid Netflix lover, ice cream enthusiast, and BTS fangirl.