4 Reasons to Volunteer to Start Off 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

The beginning of the new year typically means the start and the creation of the “new you”. So why not commence 2017 by participating in good deeds? Volunteering is not only good for helping others, but most importantly, it has the ability to help you in the long run. Here are 5 ways to improve yourself and all that surrounds you.

#1. To Strengthen Your Skills for Your Future Career

Nowadays, having just work experience on your resumes is normally not enough. Employers value those who volunteer their time to contribute their attributes as well as to gain skills. This is a way to build connections, maintain a strong network, and to have various career options in the future.

#2. Get A Chance to Give Back

I don’t know about you, but I strongly believe in good karma. This essentially means that if you do good deeds, only positive experiences will come in return. I encourage you to search around your community for ways to give back. Even if it is just a one-day event, every second counts!

#3. Personal Growth and Confidence Booster

Once you take that extra step by volunteering you gain a sense of responsibility. You are showing that you are taking time out of your day to help. You are also earning the feeling of accomplishment. People will see that this action only makes you a more positive and overall a giving individual.

#4. Do What You Love While Volunteering

Her Campus SFU is a perfect example to show that volunteering your time isn’t as difficult as it may seem. Individuals like myself who enjoy writing are able to do what we love while helping and supporting a platfom empowering women. 

So what are you waiting for? 2017 is the year to be the best you

Image Source: http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/11055587.jpg

Chelsea is a second- year Communications major, Publishing minor student at Simon Fraser University who has an interest in the Public Relations/ Marketing/ Communications field. When she is not studying or in class, she is most likely working or volunteering at school or around the community. She loves creating strong relationships with those she works with.. maybe a little too much! Always striving to succeed and constantly finding ways to improve herself through new experiences. Learn more about her on instagram: chelseabengco