19 Things I’ve Learned in 19 Years

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.
  1. Some of the best advice I’ve ever gotten is that you’ve got to date 8-10 duds before you find a good one. Don’t get caught up on them if they aren’t worth it.
  2. Trust your gut. Usually it’ll all work out.
  3. Don’t take bullshit from anyone. You don’t need that negativity in your life.
  4. Surround yourself with positive people. Keep the ones that make you laugh until you cry, empower you and push you to be the best version of yourself close, they will always be the people you want to have around when times get hard.
  5. Buy a planner. Put everything in it. Stay organized.
  6. Mental health is more important than good grades.
  7. There are good days, there are bad days, there are the ugly days. Don’t get too hung up on the bad and the ugly ones.
  8. Be honest, it’s a lot easier than getting caught up in an inticate lie. Odds are, people will be glad that you were honest with them in the first place.
  9. Eat that extra piece of pizza, you deserve it.
  10. Don’t lose track of the big picture of life. Is that issue going to matter in 5 years? In a year? Even in a month? Probably not, so don’t stress about it!
  11. Family comes before everything.
  12. It’s not always what you know, it’s who you know. MAKE. THOSE. NETWORKS.
  13. Don’t change yourself so others will like you. Be yourself! You’re soul is so much more beautiful that way.
  14. Nobody will notice if you wear leggings and a hoodie to school for a week. To be honest, nobody cares either.
  15. You can’t change others to fit your ideals, you can try but it won’t work.
  16. Writing can be one of the most healing forms of therapy. Even when it seems like the last thing you want to do, it helps get your emotions in line.
  17. Caffeine is only good before 2pm. Drink it any later and you’ll be twiddling your thumbs in bed all night.
  18. Doing poorly on one midterm won’t dictate the rest of your life. Your grades after University won’t matter.
  19. And well, because I can legally drink now: beer before liquor, you’ve never been sicker, liquor before beer and you’re all clear. (Sorry Dad).
Hi! I'm a second year in Communications student minoring in Publishing at SFU! So far, i've loved very moment of my time at SFU! I have a strong passion for writing and expanding my knowledge of the world. If you want to find more of my writing, feel free to check out my personal blog: https://sophiecummingss.wordpress.com/
Hi, I'm Lynsey! I am a 20 something full-time Communications student at SFU, the past PR/Marketing Director of HC SFU, and current Campus Correspondent. I am also an avid literature lover, coffee consumer, and aspiring PR professional who is still fairly new to the city, as my roots are deep in the West Kootenays.  Follow me on Instagram @lynseygray, to get to know me better at lynseygray.ca, or connect with me on LinkedIn https://ca.linkedin.com/in/lynsey-gray-088755aa