This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

Photo by: LaShauna Bell

Women are definitely upping the game in badassery in all areas, especially when it comes to the things that, in the past, were considered to be a man’s type of work, but young women from all over the country have been changing that outdated notion. According to aauw.org, there are actually a low number of female students involved in the STEM program in their respective schools. It is 2018 and there is still a shortage of women in the STEM field, but most reasons are because of the gender stereotypes, gender bias, and the climate of science and engineering departments in colleges and universities meaning that the classes are mostly filled with testosterone. The rise of women in STEM according to aauw.org can be accomplished by getting young girls interested in science and mathematics. For example, encourage them while in high school to take calculus, physics, chemistry, computer science, and engineering classes when available, and let them know that they are just as welcome as any man to be a part of the program.

Here at Stephen F. Austin State University a new STEM building has been in the making and is set to be completed by the upcoming Fall of 2018 semester. It is bound to put our school on the map especially for the incoming freshman who are looking for a great STEM program to get enrolled in. So, here’s to hoping that many young women are among the one to first enter the new STEM building, creating a wave of change.

Photo from: SFASU.edu

Joy Meregini is currently a student at Stephen F. Austin State University, majoring in Psychology and is on the pre-med track. She is a writer for HerCampus SFA. Joy believes that being a psychology major allows her to focus on people, and how to reach and understand them, which inspires her writing. Joy is a member of Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society. Joy holds an Associates from Tyler Junior College. During her down time she enjoys watching, and sobbing over episodes of This Is Us, and she is forever trying to learn a new language (still hasn’t).
Brianna is a Psychology major with a minor in Human Development and Family Studies here at SFA. She is passionate about people and that's how she landed a spot as CC for Her Campus' chapter at SFA! She enjoys hanging out with her cats, getting tattoos, and doing research. Her passion is to help the LGBTQ+ community by focusing on LGBTQ+ health and therapy in the future.