WINTER IS COMING: The Top 10 Anime to Watch Over Winter Break!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

Disclaimer: Let it be known that this list is compiled of anime that I have watched and enjoyed over the years. Popular anime (i.e. Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, etc.) will NOT be included in this list in order to give other animes a place to shine.

10. Fruits Basket

Fruits Basket is an older anime that I fell in love with when I was younger. This anime is about high schooler Honda Tohru, and her life with the Sohma family. As the Wikipedia summary of the anime goes, Tohru is “…an orphan girl who, after meeting Yuki, Kyo, and Shigure Sohma, learns that twelve members of the Sohma family are possessed by the animals of the Chinese zodiac and are cursed to turn into their animal forms when they are weak, stressed, or when they are embraced by anyone of the opposite sex that is not possessed by a zodiacal spirit.”

It was one of my first animes, and it is one that I enjoy even years later. Of course, the whole Fruits Basket story isn’t completely told through the anime, but it is still a good watch.

9. Assassination Classroom

This one is really good if you’re in the mood for an action/comedy. As Crunchyroll.com describes the series, “Forget about homework and pop quizzes. The students of Class 3E have a far more important assignment: kill their teacher before the end of the year! A tentacle-d [teacher] that moves at Mach 20 is out to conquer the classroom after destroying seventy percent of the moon. In addition to reading, writing, and arithmetic, the murderous monster behind the lectern will teach his students everything he knows about the assassination game. Should some eager beaver prove to be a quick study in killing, he or she will save Earth from extinction – and collect a hefty reward.” This anime is quite entertaining.

Photo courtesy of Crunchyroll.com

8. Natsume’s Book of Friends     

Based on the critically acclaimed manga, Natsume’s Book of Friends, this anime is a supernatural, slice-of-life series with an unconventional story line. It follows Takashi Natsume, a 15-year-old boy, and his famous protector Madara (aka Nyanko-sensei, who is a cat). They endeavor to free the spirits bound to Takashi’s grandmother’s “Book of Friends.”. I found this anime randomly one day, and I am so grateful that I did. It has such a good story line, with heartfelt characters, and an all-around good feel.

Photo courtesy of Crunchyroll.com

7. Barakamon

THIS ANIME IS AMAZING. I never thought I would enjoy an anime about a dude who writes about calligraphy, but it stole my heart, and it now is a favorite anime of mine. Summary by MyAnimeList.net states, “Seishuu Handa is an up-and-coming calligrapher: young, handsome, talented, and unfortunately, a narcissist to boot. When a veteran labels his award-winning piece as “unoriginal,” Seishuu quickly loses his cool with severe repercussions. As punishment, and also in order to aid him in self-reflection, Seishuu’s father exiles him to the Goto Islands, far from the comfortable Tokyo lifestyle the temperamental artist is used to. Now thrown into a rural setting, Seishuu must attempt to find new inspiration and develop his own unique art style—that is, if boisterous children (headed by the frisky Naru Kotoishi), fujoshi middle schoolers, and energetic old men stop barging into his house! … Thanks to his wacky neighbors who are entirely incapable of minding their own business, the arrogant calligrapher learns so much more than he ever hoped to.” [written by MAL rewrite].

6. Space Dandy

Plot description by Wiki: “[A] space opera [that] follows the misadventures of Dandy, an alien hunter who is ‘a dandy guy in space’, in search for undiscovered and rare aliens with his robot assistant QT and his feline-like friend named Meow. This one is so good, and despite the fact it’s called a “knock off version of Cowboy Bepbop” it is charming in its own way!  

5. My Love Story

This is a sort of unconventional love story, but it’s so hilarious, and sweet, that I had to put it on this list. If you like romantic-comedies, I would definitely give this one a watch.

Plot summary from oremonogatari.wikia.com says, “Gouda Takeo is a giant guy with a giant heart. Too bad the girls don’t want him! (They want his good-looking best friend, Sunakawa.) Used to being on the sidelines, Takeo simply stands tall and accepts his fate. But one day when he saves a girl named Yamato from a harasser on the train, his (love!) life suddenly takes an incredible turn!”

4. Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon

Summary from pulllist.comixology.com notes, “[A] dragon, named Tohru, has the ability to magically transform into an adorable human girl (albeit with horns and a long tail!), who will do anything to pay off her debt of gratitude, [to] Miss Kobayashi [whether she] likes it or not.”

It’s a super cute anime, with even cuter character designs. It is a short anime, but with a great storyline.

3. Yuri! On Ice

Most people would write off Yuri On Ice as a “gay sport’s anime,” but it is so much more than that. Yuri On Ice is about Yūri Katsuki, who competed as Japan’s hope at winning the Gran Prix Finale ice skating competition. However, he suffers a crushing defeat. He returns home to Kyushu and contemplates if he still wants to continue ice skating or retiring. Suddenly Victor Nikiforov, a five-time consecutive world championship ice skater appears wanting to coach Yuri for the next Gran Prix series! Along with Yuri Plisetsky, a young Russian figure skater hell-bent on defeating his seniors, both Victor and both Yuri’s take up the challenge on of the Gran Prix series.

Again, most people call this anime a Boy Love series but it is so much more. Yuri On Ice is a sports anime with two main homosexual characters, that isn’t true. Yet, the characters all go through personal growth, find strength in themselves, and confront their flaws throughout the series.  

2. Katekyo Hitman Reborn!

The anime is about a young 14-year-old Sawada Tsunayoshi, who after being known as “no good” all his life discovers that he is next in line to become boss of a powerful Mafia organization named Vongola. The Vongolas’ hire the most powerful hitman, a gun-toting infant named Reborn, to teach Tsunayoshi how to be a mafia boss.

KHR is one of my all-time favorite anime; with over 200 episodes, it’s definitely a long series. However, with budding character development, humor, and intricate plot line, this anime is one I recommend all the time.  

1. Mob Psycho 100

Mob Psycho100  is one of those animes that I will rant and rave about how good it is. While I do know most people will argue with me and say Mob Psycho was popular, it really didn’t get the recognition it deserved.  

Mob Psycho 100, as Crunchyroll.com describes, is about “Kageyama Shigeo, a.k.a. “Mob,”…a boy who has trouble expressing himself, but who happens to be a powerful esper. Mob is determined to live a normal life and keeps his ESP suppressed, but when his emotions surge to a level of 100%, something terrible happens to him! As he’s surrounded by false espers, evil spirits, and mysterious organizations, what will Mob think? What choices will he make?”         

This is such an amazing anime, with mind-blowing animation and deep, underlining character developments. Give it binge watch, you won’t regret it!

Photo courtesy of Bones

Bri Bell was a writer for SFASU Her Campus. She graduated with a Bachelor's in Art cica 2019! She is an artistic woman with a passion for FIlm/Cinematogrpahy, as well as writing. Bri Bell tends to write about things she is passionate about whether that be about music, literature, politics, or even random anime recommendations. She is fairly easy going about what she writes, and attempts to stray away from any topics that could have any/all triggers.
Andrea Gallier is a Journalism major and Dance minor at Stephen F. Austin State University in Nacogdoches, Texas. Her passions include: dancing, traveling, hiking, backpacking, camping, The Walking Dead, and (of course) writing. Andrea sailed with Semester at Sea in Spring 2016 and is an aspiring travel writer. She has also worked as a contributing writer at The Pine Log at SFA and is a member of Dimensions Contemporary Ballet, a dance company in Nacogdoches. Website: http://andreagallier.wixsite.com/portfolio Twitter/Instagram/Snapchat: @andreagallier