This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

In photo: Kasharra Ashworth

“I think the most important thing in life is self-love, because if you don’t have self-love, and respect for everything about your own body, your own soul, your own capsule, then how can you have an authentic relationship with anyone else?” -Shailene Woodley

For a long time, I wasn’t comfortable in my own skin. I hated my personality. I’m a quiet person by nature and it’s hard for me to come out of my shell when I’m first meeting people and I hated that about myself. Why couldn’t I be like the people who had a knack for being seen and heard? When I graduated high school, I started to get comfortable with who I am. Ok, I’m not loud and it makes it harder for me to be myself around strangers. No problem. I accept that fact and I can say that I’m much happier in my life because I’m not comparing nor forcing myself to be someone that I am not.  

In the world that we live in now it can be extremely hard for us to love ourselves. I’m not talking about just loving yourself for what is on the outside, but what is on the inside as well. Too often, we look at magazines and see gorgeous models and wish to look like them. We’re constantly finding things that are wrong with us, but the truth is we are all incredibly beautiful the way that we are.

Photo by: SaMaria Boyd

Not to be confused with narcissism or selfishness, self-love is taking care of yourself and realizing that you matter first. When you love yourself you not only feel better about yourself but you are able to give yourself completely to whatever your heart is set on. Whether that be a relationship, a goal that you’re working toward, or even a career opportunity. Self-love allows you to put your best foot forward and you’ll always come out feeling like a winner, even when things don’t go your way.  

When you love yourself, it’s contagious! I love to see someone that is comfortable within their skin and loving themselves through their flaws. You don’t have to be cocky or an egomaniac, but believing in yourself speaks volumes. You’re also so much happier.

Another thing self-love helps with is insecurity. Again, there’s ALWAYS going to be something physically that you don’t like about yourself. The key to getting over this is to embrace it. I’m a skinny girl, and yes skinny girls have insecurities too, and I’ve always had stretch marks. For a long time, I’d look in the mirror and think, “I look horrible,” and it took a long time for me to let that go. That’s the thing about insecurities, they grab hold to you and they will control your life if you let them. I can look in the mirror now and I love everything about my body. Sure, I get down on myself sometimes, there are things I wish I could change but because I took a step back and started to love myself, it doesn’t get to me like it used to.

Loving yourself is the most important thing that you can offer the world. When you love yourself, you are your best self! Realize that you have so much to offer, and so much love to give and your light shines bright because you are authentically you! There is no one else in this world that compares to you so embrace everything that you are and let go of everything that you are not. You are incredibly beautiful just the way you are!

Hello, I'm Kasharra Ashworth. I am in my third year at Stephen F. Austin State University as an Elementary Education Major. In my spare time I like to read (I'm a die hard romance fan), listen to music, play The Sims, and do/practice makeup. I am a granddaughter, a daughter, a sister, an aunt and a friend. Family means everything to me. I'm just a girl from a small town who wants to make her mark on this world.
Hey there Delilah..  I am a Mass Communication grad student. I work for ESPN3 and have 2 amazing pups, Pepper my hound mix and my doberman, Hercules master of the universe. I enjoy editing videos and the smell of clean sheets.