Why I Like to be Busy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

Photo by Grayson Porter

As a first-time freshman in college, a sorority sister, and a writer for two different organizations – it is obvious that my schedule is pretty tight. I like to consider myself a busybody, but I never let myself get too stressed from being busy.

If I ever think I’m getting stressed-out by my workload, I always try and decompress or take a step back and work on something that I know I love. Even in high school, I would start so many random projects just to keep myself busy and doing things, I was constantly trying to find anything new to do. I never felt overwhelmed when I tried to teach myself code, or when I would try to write one short story a day. I had so much fun finding a new way to work on something that I never minded always having something to do. Recently, I was talking to a friend who commended me for constantly doing something (like writing, school work or working on relationships), but didn’t know how I did it. They didn’t see the thin line of stressed and constantly busy that I balanced on every day and it honestly is all accredited to caffeine and my planner.

When I see my planner has something to do every day I feel like I have accomplished something for the week, even if the thing is super simple like “go grocery shopping”. When I have tasks and a to-do list I always know what my day will entail and it always follows a certain plan for me – which I absolutely adore. If I could plan out my whole day, every single day, I know the day would be productive. To some people being busy may seem like the worst thing in the world, but I personally don’t know what I would do if I didn’t always have something on my plate. I love having a full calendar because it lets me feel like I’m doing work and that I know I have an end goal in mind. When I make a list of things to do for the day it helps me sleep better at night knowing that I did something with myself and that I’m not just sitting around to watch Netflix all day.

Sometimes it may get overwhelming to have my schedule booked, but I know in the long run it will definitely help me.

Just a 20-years-old Animal and Ghost Enthusiast. Stephen F. Austin Her Campus editor and Co-CC.
Hey there Delilah..  I am a Mass Communication grad student. I work for ESPN3 and have 2 amazing pups, Pepper my hound mix and my doberman, Hercules master of the universe. I enjoy editing videos and the smell of clean sheets.