What You Learn as a College Freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

As the semester is coming to an end, getting to finish finals and getting off campus is now becoming the main goal in everyone’s lives. The first semester of freshman year has proven to be full of very teachable moments. When you move from living with family to living fully on your own, you learn so much about yourself and about everything that is around you.

Outside the student center at SFA. Photo by Grayson Porter.

1. If you procrastinate– you won’t pass.

Sure, going out with your friends the night before a giant project is due seems like a fine decision, but you won’t be able to make the grades. Having the ability to finish your homework on time will help you keep your grades up, and your friends will totally understand if you miss pizza night.

2. Time management for 8 AM classes…

“A high school 8 AM feels normal, a college 8 AM feels like hell.” Having to wake up early in high school is doable, and it helps that you typically go to bed earlier in high school. For most college kids, being in their dorm by 11 is a luxury. Waking up for an 8am is totally doable, but you just have to make sure you get to bed a little earlier (and drink a little more coffee).

3. College squirrels are different from regular squirrels.

In regular life, squirrels will typically run around you and sneakily take food you drop. Here in college, you sacrifice food and try to avoid the rebel fat squirrels that will chase you down. Fear the squirrels on college campuses.

4. Organizations in college are important and help you gain friends.

If you know anyone in Greek life, you might be able to tell that most of their friends are also in Greek life. This isn’t a weird phenomenon, and it also isn’t even just something that Sorority girls or Frat guys experience., it’s pretty normal for people in organizations to hang out with others in that organization. Joining a club is a great way to make friends and connect with new people.

5. Food is expensive– use your dining dollars/swipes.

Most of your budget goes to food. Spending all your money on food, in theory is a great idea, but in real life it is actually a terrible thing. Using dining dollars will help you change up a routine of cafeteria food, but will also give your wallet a break. This still doesn’t mean that going out to eat is impossible though, just budget your money properly.

6. Your bed is your only true friend.

For my first semester I have been blessed with some truly great friends who support me and love me no matter what, but they aren’t a bed. Use your bed. Cherish your bed. TRY to go to bed at a normal hour. Trust me, your body will thank you.

As the first semester comes to an end, and many of us are getting ready to pack up and head back to our homes for a month-long break, looking back fondly on the first semester is easy to do. So much has happened, and yet it still felt like the past few months have gone by way too fast. All I know is, I cannot wait to see what next semester has in store.

Just a 20-years-old Animal and Ghost Enthusiast. Stephen F. Austin Her Campus editor and Co-CC.
Andrea Gallier is a Journalism major and Dance minor at Stephen F. Austin State University in Nacogdoches, Texas. Her passions include: dancing, traveling, hiking, backpacking, camping, The Walking Dead, and (of course) writing. Andrea sailed with Semester at Sea in Spring 2016 and is an aspiring travel writer. She has also worked as a contributing writer at The Pine Log at SFA and is a member of Dimensions Contemporary Ballet, a dance company in Nacogdoches. Website: http://andreagallier.wixsite.com/portfolio Twitter/Instagram/Snapchat: @andreagallier