This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

When I was still in high school, I remember my excitement when I found out that I was accepted into Stephen F. Austin State University. I was thrilled because I would be able to experience freedom away from my family for the first time in my life. However, life hit me hard when I arrived on campus. Here are several things that I wish I had known before college:

1. You HAVE to study in college

During my time in high school, I got through my classes without studying. So I was definitely surprised when I realized that my study skills were subpar and I needed to do more in order to be successful in my classes.

2. You’ll get homesick…A LOT

As excited as I was to be embarking on a new chapter in my life, I never realized how much I would miss my family. I remember that I would go home every weekend because I missed my family so much. It was hard not having them around all the time.

3. You’ll make life-long friends

One of the things that I was most scared about was making new friends on campus. I didn’t know what to expect, or if I would even find anyone that had similar interests. Thankfully, one of my closest friends on campus was my roommate freshman year and we’re still close to this day!

4. BE SOCIAL!

This one goes hand in hand with #3. It’s so easy to want to stay in your room all the time and not get out (I know I did freshman year) but that’s not healthy! Be social. Go and meet people! There are so many different events that are scheduled on campus. You should go to these events because that’s how you meet people and make friends. And you won’t feel quite so alone and homesick if you do!

5. Take care of both physical AND mental health

This is a HUGE one. You can’t expect to do well in your classes if you’re not taking care of yourself. College students tend to be overworked and extremely stressed out-especially because we have heavy course loads and are expected to complete assignments in a certain time frame. Set aside time each day to look after yourself- whether that be by working out, spending times with friends, reading, meditating. Just do whatever helps YOU feel good.

6. Make the most of your college experience

While your main goal in college is to obtain that degree, college is also the place to explore and learn more about yourself. Get out, network with other people, and enjoy your time in college. While college can be a very stressful time, it can also be a time of laughter and good times. Enjoy it and make the most out of the experience!

Brittany Malone is a senior at Stephen F. Austin State University where she is majoring in Psychology and is on a pre-med track. In her free time, Brittany enjoys reading books, writing stories, and obsessing over Treasure Planet. 
Hello Everyone! My name is Laura Restrepo and I go to SFA. I plan to major in psychology so I can use my degree to help others and make this world a better place. I am a writer for Her Campus. I love to read anything and everything whether its books, magazines, blogs, fan-fiction, journals, etc. I enjoy all types of music; I am open to anything. I am also a huge nerd for Star Wars, Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings/Hobbit series. In conclusion, the perfect day for me consists of these things with coffee and cold weather.