Warped Tour is Ending and We are All Crying

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

For the past three years in a row I have attended Warped Tour and it has been the highlight of my summer, as it has been for millions of rock fans for the past 23 years. On November 15, Kevin Lyman—the creator and producer of Vans Warped Tour—announced that next year will be the final cross-country tour.

Warped Tour is a traveling music festival that has annually toured the United States every summer since 1995. This is the music industries longest-running traveling festival. The tour is rooted in punk music, however, has had many different genres play its stages. The Vans Warped Tour has helped artists like Simple Plan, Blink-182, No Doubt, A Day to Remember, Paramore, Pierce the Veil and many other popular rock artists launch their music careers.

State Champs performing at Warped Tour 2016. Photo by Lexus Jacobs.

In a statement given to Billboard, Lyman explains the reasoning behind the seemingly abrupt end to the tour. For Lyman, this end has been a long time coming, due to the evolving music festival industry, lack of bands and declining ticket sales. Lyman also states that he has been on the road every summer for the past 26 years of his life—he did Lollapalooza for three years before Warped—and he is simply just tired. Touring takes a toll on the body and at the age of 57, Lyman is finally to ready to give it up.

“With the support of so many people, I have now spent the last 23 summers bringing that show to a city near you,” said Lyman in the statement. “We have brought [The Vans Warped Tours] to over 11 million people around the world and watched that same world change while doing so.”

Though the tour is ending, Lyman intends to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the tour in 2019.

“The enduring spirit of the Vans Warped Tour remains as bright as ever, continuing to inspire creativity and ambition in new and exciting ways as we prepare for a 25th anniversary celebration in 2019,” Lyman said.

Though no bands have been announced yet, the tour dates have been released along with limited edition super fan packages that include tickets, lanyards, postcards, compilation CD and a custom pair of Warped tour Vans shoes.

“I’m looking to bring everyone a great show and have a great summer and connect with a lot of people, you know? For me, the saddest thing is I’ll be seeing sunrises and sunsets for the last time in a lot of those parking lots.”

For punk rockers everywhere, this is the end of an era. Warped Tour is unlike anything else in the music industry today. Artists walk around in the parking lot and watch the shows just like normal audience members. There is a sense of community and overwhelming love at Warped Tour and it has always felt like home to me. In 2018, at the last time at Warped, sing until your voice goes out. Get in the pit. Dance till your feet ache. Crowd surf. Be front row for your favorite band. Get off your phone and pay attention to the music. The last time should be the best time. We are forever Warped.

“I truly look forward to seeing as many of you as possible during this final cross country run, and getting to thank you for your support on this wild adventure. Until then, take care and be safe,” said Lyman.

Pop punk enthusiast. Concert photography. Aspiring music journalist. The definition of a music nerd.
Andrea Gallier is a Journalism major and Dance minor at Stephen F. Austin State University in Nacogdoches, Texas. Her passions include: dancing, traveling, hiking, backpacking, camping, The Walking Dead, and (of course) writing. Andrea sailed with Semester at Sea in Spring 2016 and is an aspiring travel writer. She has also worked as a contributing writer at The Pine Log at SFA and is a member of Dimensions Contemporary Ballet, a dance company in Nacogdoches. Website: http://andreagallier.wixsite.com/portfolio Twitter/Instagram/Snapchat: @andreagallier