Uber Everywhere, Nacogdoches!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

One of the most current ride sharing apps, Uber, has made its way to Nacogdoches, TX. The Student Government and Dr. Peck, Dean of Student Affairs, announced the coming of Uber to Nacogdoches on September 27, 2017.

At the Uber event, Dr. Pattillo, President of SFA, made it known that Uber’s journey to SFA has had a few bumps in the road.

Dr. Pattillo at the Uber announcement event. Photo by SaMaria Boyd for Her Campus at SFA

One can catch a ride somewhere by “ubering” to their destination. Uber is an app you can download onto your mobile device. You then set up an account, pick a destination, and have a driver take you there. Think of it as a taxi service, but it’s online and you pay with your phone. Also, the ridesharing service is under the company name, but each driver for Uber is an individual contracted employee who goes under a background check and provides their own method of transporting customers.

Regulation of House Bill 100 in Texas was needed to pass to have Uber come to Nacogdoches. According to Texas Legislature Online, House Bill 100 regulates and requires a permit for transportation companies that charge a fee. Travis Clardy, the House Representative for District 11 of Texas was needed to make this Regulation pass. In the Texas Senate, Senator Nichols has been working on this bill for four years. Chris Miller, Public Policy Manager of Uber was at the Uber announcement event, and was excited to be alongside Representative Clardy and Senator Nichols. All of these collaborative efforts made it possible for Uber to be available to all of Nacogdoches at this time.

Organizations such as Driving Jacks will find Uber to be a compliment to their services. Driving Jacks provides free rides home on the weekends, but not during the week. Jessie Jenkins, SGA President said, “Uber will be good for students who like to go out during the week when Driving Jacks is not available.” Uber will also provide a safe ride to events throughout the week. Uber needs drivers,and finding a job on campus is a difficult task. This ride sharing app will provide new opportunities and safe ventures for SFA students.