diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Travel Hacks and Planning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

While Studying abroad I had the opportunity to travel to a couple European countries surrounding France. Keep in mind this was my first time in Europe and was anxious to travel everywhere. We only had 2 weeks to travel so it was time to plan!

I have always been a huge advocate for research, everything is possible and can be researched now a days. You don’t know where to visit? Read blogs on google, watch videos on Youtube!

I had to figure it all from flights to museums to where to stay. Yes, it’s not easy but oh so worth it once you get to board your flight and discover so much more.

With accommodation, we wanted something that wouldn’t break our budget but also be able to have a wonderful experience. We had heard of hostels but had never stayed at one, and were unsure if they were safe. Hostelworld was the website that came up and it was so easy to use! It had reviews, prices, open spaces and amenities. Through this website, we booked accommodation for Spain, Italy and Amsterdam. Here are the places where we stayed and highly recommend!

• Spain: U Hostels, Madrid

• Amsterdam: A&O Amsterdam Zuidoost

• Italy: Archi Rossi Hostel, Florence or Hostel Pisa Tower, Pisa

• France: Woodstock Hostel Montmartre, Paris or Generator Paris

It’s not impossible traveling and finding a great cheap place to stay! For some of the hostels we stayed at we paid 7 Euros, so use hostelworld or any other website for accommodation. Obviously if you have accommodation, first you need to get there. Finding flights from the U.S and traveling internationally can be pricey but, once you are in Europe it is extremely affordable. We used Google Flights which a lot of people surprisingly does not know about. It’s super easy to use and has cool tools to help you find the perfect destination. There are many websites like Google Flights that will compare flights for you!  

For 3 out of the 4 countries I visited, there was a language barrier. This is something that you want to think about. Being a native Spanish speaker saved my butt in Spain but, once I made it to Italy I was extremely lost. Take the time to learn some basic phrases and words when going to a foreign country. Consider translation apps, or taking some courses before traveling.

People forget that Youtube or Pinterest are such an amazing tools especially for travel! You can watch hacks for long flights, language courses, and learn about another culture. It is so easy to make sure that you are as ready as you can. You can book flights, plan out an itinerary, set up accommodation and learn about a different culture before your travel plans. Be aware that even if you plan as much as possible things always happen when traveling, stay patient, and embrace the world.

My name is Tanya Moreno and I am a Junior International Business major at SFASU. I love to travel, and hope to be able to travel in my future job as well. I am very involved on campus and sometimes it can be too much for my own good. I am definitely a go-getter who loves Pinterest, my best frienf family and my job.
Greetings, earthlings. My name is Natalie and I am a lover of all things non-routine. A senior Radio/TV Broadcasting major at SFA, I enjoy running races, Netflix & Hulu binging, and traveling on short weekend getaways that I convince myself I can afford. I serve as Her Campus SFA's Campus Correspondent and Editor in Chief.