Top 5 Halloween Movies for Scaredy Cats

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

Halloween is just around the corner and you know what that means: horror movies with murder, possessions, creepy twins, the works. Now if you’re like me, someone who can’t even watch the trailers for these films without crying, then I have just the thing for you! I have created a list of the top 5 Halloween movies that aren’t terrifying, but still give you those spooky Halloween vibes. Each movie will be rated with a number of spooky scary skeletons out of a total of 5; the more skeletons there are, the scarier the movie. I left out any children’s classics like Hocus Pocus and It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, but those are great too!

1. Secret Window— This movie, starring Johnny Depp, is what you would call a psychological thriller. The movie itself is not gory or paranormal, but you’re always on your toes for what comes next. The movie is about a young writer, Depp, who recently found his wife having an affair and has decided to take a trip into the mountains to work on his next book in order to avoid their inevitable divorce. Unfortunately, he does not get the peace he needs due to an unexpected visitor. I loved this movie and it quickly made its way into my top 3 favorite Halloween movies. 

??? (3 out of 5 due to some violence and disturbing moments)

(source: imdb.com)

2. The Village— This movie, starring Bryce Dallas Howard, is another psychological thriller. It tells the story of a small isolated country village that faces a monster who lives in the woods at the edge of the town. They must follow strict rules in order to avoid the wrath of the creature, but things don’t always go according to plan. 

???(3 out of 5 due to some violence and jumpy scenes)

(source: imdb.com)

3. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street— This film, once again starring Johnny Depp, tells the tale of Benjamin Barker, aka Sweeney Todd, who opens a local barber shop in London and uses it enact his revenge with his partner, Mrs. Lovett (Helena Bonham Carter). This musical movie is what you can expect from a Tim Burton film: really pale and strange people, and of course some morbid humor. Nonetheless, this musical is well written and has some of the catchiest (and strange) songs I have ever heard. 

??(2 out of 5 due to some gore, violence, and a creepy stalker song)

(source: imdb.com)

4. Leprechaun— This movie is for the people who want a good laugh at a super cheesy horror movie. Jennifer Aniston moves to a new town only to find that years before the owners had angered an evil leprechaun who will kill to get his gold. 

?(1 out of 5 because it’s ridiculous but if death by pogo stick is scary for you then…)

(source: imdb.com)

5. Ghostbusters— It would be a sin not to include this movie on this list. Ghostbusters is the fun story of a group of scientists who decide to start a ghost hunting business in New York. It is funny, memorable, and iconic. I would recommend that you watch the original 1984 version first starring Bill Murray, but the 2016 all-female film starring Melissa McCarthy and Kristen Wiig is also amazing!

?(1 out of 5 because I couldn’t give it zero skulls)

(source: imdb.com)

I am currently a freshman sociology major at Stephen F Austin University. I absolutely love all things movies, tv shows, and books. If you ever need a recommendation, I am here for you! Although (like most college students) I don't know exactly what I want to do with my life, I do know that I want to write fun and interesting articles for Her Campus that I hope you enjoy!
Brianna is a Psychology major with a minor in Human Development and Family Studies here at SFA. She is passionate about people and that's how she landed a spot as CC for Her Campus' chapter at SFA! She enjoys hanging out with her cats, getting tattoos, and doing research. Her passion is to help the LGBTQ+ community by focusing on LGBTQ+ health and therapy in the future.