This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

Photo by LaShauna Bell

‘Tis the season to count your blessings! Every year millions of Americans gather together with friends and family to share what they’re grateful for from the past year. So, in the spirit of Thanksgiving I thought that it would be beneficial to share what being grateful could do for you. Here are the four benefits of being thankful that’ll help you get through life.

1. Better outlook on life.

This one you might have guessed but it is still very true. Holding gratitude in our hearts can in turn make us happier, healthier, and it has been shown to increase our years of life.

2. Being gracious can help you to bounce back when life gets rough.

When you need to remind yourself of what you have, or what you have accomplished so far, it can help to give you the boost you need to keep going on your journey.

3. Gratitude deepens relationships.

Having friends that you can just appreciate for always being there for you, or friends that you know will always have your back, can help you to get rid of the toxic friendships in your life.

4. Gratefulness can help you to sleep better.

According to a 2011 study published in Applied Psychology: Health and Well-Being, writing in a gratitude journal for 15 minutes every night before bed can help to improve sleep.

This holiday season you should choose to be grateful for family, friends, grace, and simply life. We all have the ability and have the opportunity to cultivate gratitude. Simply take a few moments of your time to appreciate all that you have rather than complaining about all the things you lack. Choose to recognize where you are now, and be grateful for the road ahead.

Joy Meregini is currently a student at Stephen F. Austin State University, majoring in Psychology and is on the pre-med track. She is a writer for HerCampus SFA. Joy believes that being a psychology major allows her to focus on people, and how to reach and understand them, which inspires her writing. Joy is a member of Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society. Joy holds an Associates from Tyler Junior College. During her down time she enjoys watching, and sobbing over episodes of This Is Us, and she is forever trying to learn a new language (still hasn’t).
Andrea Gallier is a Journalism major and Dance minor at Stephen F. Austin State University in Nacogdoches, Texas. Her passions include: dancing, traveling, hiking, backpacking, camping, The Walking Dead, and (of course) writing. Andrea sailed with Semester at Sea in Spring 2016 and is an aspiring travel writer. She has also worked as a contributing writer at The Pine Log at SFA and is a member of Dimensions Contemporary Ballet, a dance company in Nacogdoches. Website: http://andreagallier.wixsite.com/portfolio Twitter/Instagram/Snapchat: @andreagallier