Sign Immigrants make America Great
Sign Immigrants make America Great
Unsplash
Culture > News

Thriving for Hispanic Heritage Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

As you may have seen on your social media timelines, news articles, and other forms of communication, National Hispanic Heritage Month is currently underway! Lasting from September 15 to October 15, the Hispanic/Latinx culture is celebrated by many who have been striving, thriving, and surviving in the countries and territories they live in, especially during this difficult year. It is important now more than ever for one to appreciate where they come from and try to keep the culture alive for future generations.

Through politics, entertainment, journalism, activism and many other industries, each person has their own heritage story to tell, and we are here for it! Many Hispanic icons like Cesar Chavez (of course); government officials Associate Justice Sonia Sotomayor and congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez; celebrities Cardi B, Rita Moreno, and Bad Bunny; journalist Jorge Ramos; and athletes Roberto Clemente and Lionel Messi have all changed and influenced the world in their own way. For anyone who wants to contribute to Hispanic Heritage Month, there are much simpler ways to do so:

1. Get educated! Learn more about the struggles and livelihoods of the Hispanic/Latinx culture and educate others if possible. Learn about various organizations who are trying to give the community equal rights and equal education. Just be involved!
  2. Watch, watch, watch! There are hundreds of thousands of documentaries and movies about the cultures of Mexico, Puerto Rico, Chile, El Salvador, etc. For those who love the drama, there are telenovelas and other Spanish-speaking shows and movies.
  3. Eat at Latinx/Hispanic restaurants or shop online at Latinx/Hispanic retailers. Give some support to their businesses!
  4. Play games! There are so many choices of Hispanic/Latinx games out there, such as Lotería, Conquian, and dominoes.
  5. Read books from Hispanic/Latinx authors who have put their heart and soul into their work. Read alone, to a family member, or to an animal friend. Recognition and representation are always a good way to go, especially if there has not been much of it before. Times are a-changing, so go buy/rent/access a book from wherever possible!

National Hispanic Heritage Month is still running with the big boys on the national calendar, so do not expect the struggles and accomplishments to stop anytime soon.

SOURCES AND INFORMATION:

1. HTTPS://HISPANICHERITAGEMONTH.GOV/
  2. Fernandez, C. & Rindner, G. (2020, July 31). 17 Famous Hispanic People Who Are Killing It in 2020. HTTPS://WWW.OPRAHMAG.COM/LIFE/G28968602/FAMOUS-HISPANIC-PEOPLE/
  3. Mitchell, A. (2020, September 25). 19 Hispanic Heroes You Should Know About. HTTPS://WWW.REDBOOKMAG.COM/ABOUT/G29008875/HISPANIC-HEROES-YOU-SHOULD-KNOW/?SLIDE=12
  4. Borge, J. (2020, July 21). What Is Hispanic Heritage Month—and Who Celebrates It? HTTPS://WWW.OPRAHMAG.COM/LIFE/A28134135/HISPANIC-HERITAGE-MONTH/
  5. Barrientos, S. (2020, September 17). The 10 Best Hispanic Heritage Month Activities to Help You Celebrate. HTTPS://WWW.GOODHOUSEKEEPING.COM/HOLIDAYS/G33996412/HISPANIC-HERITAGE-MONTH-ACTIVITIES/
I am studying English with a minor in Secondary Education. I like watching TV/movies, reading, softball, and the color purple. Her Campus member since Fall 2019 and loving it! "It's our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore
Hello Everyone! My name is Laura Restrepo and I go to SFA. I plan to major in psychology so I can use my degree to help others and make this world a better place. I am a writer for Her Campus. I love to read anything and everything whether its books, magazines, blogs, fan-fiction, journals, etc. I enjoy all types of music; I am open to anything. I am also a huge nerd for Star Wars, Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings/Hobbit series. In conclusion, the perfect day for me consists of these things with coffee and cold weather.