Things That Shouldn’t Be Said During the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

Holidays are meant to be filled with warmth and laughter but sometimes, when the spiked eggnog is empty and the jolliness has disappeared, our relatives can get out of hand. They don’t mean too—or maybe they do—but it’s always the sweetest little aunt who makes the wrong comment.

Whatever the reason it is, it happens often. I took to my Facebook account to ask my friends what the worst things that have been said to them from a relative were, and here’s some things I got-

“Eat another cupcake and we’ll have to put you in fat camp.” – Jacey Ryals.

“You haven’t been to any family events, did you get pregnant? Because you sure look like you did.” – Andrea Romero.

Now, these are harsh and quite frankly I’m not sure why it’s so funny to our elders to point out things like it’s normal or okay. So if you are a relative and you’re wanting to steer clear of the gross comments, here are some little tips.

• don’t comment on anyone’s weight, appearance, and/or anything that you wouldn’t want to said to you.

It really is that simple.

Via Catherine Greenwood’s Facebook

Andrea Gallier is a Journalism major and Dance minor at Stephen F. Austin State University in Nacogdoches, Texas. Her passions include: dancing, traveling, hiking, backpacking, camping, The Walking Dead, and (of course) writing. Andrea sailed with Semester at Sea in Spring 2016 and is an aspiring travel writer. She has also worked as a contributing writer at The Pine Log at SFA and is a member of Dimensions Contemporary Ballet, a dance company in Nacogdoches. Website: http://andreagallier.wixsite.com/portfolio Twitter/Instagram/Snapchat: @andreagallier