Career

Some Things I’ve Learned as I Enter my Final Undergrad Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

As I enter my final semester of undergrad, I’ve been thinking about my experience in college and just exactly where the time has gone. I plan to not only relay my experience in college, but to also give some advice as I get ready to bid SFA farewell.

First and foremost, don’t take the phrase “time flies” for granted, because it absolutely does. Entering your first semester, the end of college seems incredibly far away, and the journey may seem daunting. I still remember feeling and thinking that graduation was incredibly far away, but, looking back, it seems so fast. Granted, I was only at SFA for 3 years because I got a year’s worth of AP credit in high school, but it still went by in a flash. When you’re in the midst of a difficult semester, it can seem like forever, but, thinking back to the past two years of my college career, they seem like a distant memory. I realized after picking up my cap and gown earlier this week for my senior pictures, graduation is much closer than ever before, and it’s very bittersweet.

I would also say to not stress too much. It’s okay to stress about some things, but don’t let it consume you. One grade, one exam, one situation; you will be okay and you can get through it. There have been many assignments that I’ve mulled over or a test I’ve stressed over for so long that I didn’t sleep or eat, which is not the most constructive way to work through stress. I’ve also had my fair share of mental breakdowns over the years because the pressure definitely gets to me. But I’ve learned that life’s too short to stress about every little thing that happens. So take a deep breath, and know that one bad grade or situation doesn’t define you or your worth.

Life is also too short to keep people in your life that aren’t good for you. I’ve learned that I am worth people’s time and that my friendship is valuable, but not something to be taken advantage of. Toxic relationships and friendships are not only harmful to your mentality, but the energy you put out to interact with someone can be incredibly draining, especially if the person doesn’t reciprocate some of the energy to help you. Also, if you’re finding that you’re always there for your friends, but no one is there for you when you need them, find new friends – real friends take care of you and are there for you the same way you are for them. Your true friends will always be there for you.

The most important thing I’ve learned is that everything is going to be okay. I still struggle with this thought because a lot of aspects about my future are uncertain, but I know that I’ll be able to handle whatever life throws at me. I’ve learned how to be on my own in college and how to manage my stress in a better way, so I know that college has equipped me in that sense, too.  

Although I’m ready to leave SFA and pursue other avenues in life, my departure is bittersweet. I’ve had an incredibly positive experience during my time in college and part of me doesn’t want it to end. I do know that the connections and friendships I’ve made will last a lifetime. SFA will always have a special place in my heart, and as I walk across the stage on graduation day, I’ll remember both the good and bad times that have made me the person I am today.

My name is Haley Garrelts and I'm an English major with a double minor Spanish and Linguistics at SFA! I love to write and read and Her Campus is awesome!