This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

When YouTube launched back in 2005, there weren’t that many Youtubers who were making headway on the platform, just a bunch of random videos to look at. However, as soon as 2006-2008 era hit, many creators’ channels started to take off, making the YouTube platform grow exponentially. One of those creators that made headway was Shane Dawson.  

Photo Credits: Shane Dawson’s Youtube

Part of the Original (OG) YouTubers, creator Shane Dawson has been on the platform for the past ten years. He started with his shocking, humorous skits that were off the wall, gaining hundreds of subscribers on a monthly basis. He continued to make videos on his main page at the time, Shane Dawson TV, being the emo-haired boy we all knew and loved. He even pursued a music career in the early 2010s with mild success, along with a couple movies/ shorts and books.  

However, in recent times, Shane’s content has changed. He started going away from his usual “Lets blow up shit/ dumb life hacks” type of content, to something that actually meant something to him. With Shane starting this new content that meant something to him, he started with interviewing his first love, Blair Fowler. And that video was only the start of the change Shane would bring. 

Shane continued to make more videos with subjects he actually found interesting; conspiracy videos, weird facts about TV shows and the like. Each video he made continued to get more than a million views as he posted them, with his audience growing alongside his own growth. He has made videos on other YouTubers and just hung out with them or helped them out in some way. Shane has helped children with their own growth on the platform, made fun content with his friends and family, and even surprised his mother with a visit to meet Kathy Griffin!  However, while Shane himself doesn’t really care about views, it was very impressive that his series about Tana Con and Jeffree Star skyrocketed his views, each getting over 10 million views per video. It’s safe to say Shane Dawson is going to keep going higher with his content, and I’m all here for it. 

As someone who has been watching Shane for years, it’s so refreshing to see him make videos he actually enjoys making. His content keeps us viewers entertained and allows us to see a more authentic side to him – a side we viewers love. I hope he continues on this path he has created and makes more video that he loves. 

Bri Bell was a writer for SFASU Her Campus. She graduated with a Bachelor's in Art cica 2019! She is an artistic woman with a passion for FIlm/Cinematogrpahy, as well as writing. Bri Bell tends to write about things she is passionate about whether that be about music, literature, politics, or even random anime recommendations. She is fairly easy going about what she writes, and attempts to stray away from any topics that could have any/all triggers.
Brianna is a Psychology major with a minor in Human Development and Family Studies here at SFA. She is passionate about people and that's how she landed a spot as CC for Her Campus' chapter at SFA! She enjoys hanging out with her cats, getting tattoos, and doing research. Her passion is to help the LGBTQ+ community by focusing on LGBTQ+ health and therapy in the future.