A Senior’s Thoughts on Musicals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

Music, dance, and theater have been a topic that I have enjoyed all my life. It started with a love for classic Disney movies as a young girl and grew into a love of musicals. My sisters and I all loved musicals. Singing and dancing was a common pastime in our household (Sorry, Dad) and my love of musicals has defined me so much that my friends gave me the nickname “Broadway” because all I would do is sing and dance. When I feel down, watching and or listening to the music of these 5 musicals helps me brighten up in an instant.

The Sound of Music

With music by Rodgers and Hammerstein, The Sound of Music is a classic musical based on the memoir of the Von Trapp Family Singers. Set in 1938, Maria leaves her convent to become a governess for the Von Trapp family. Meanwhile, Captain Von Trapp is being threatened if he does not return to the German army on the cusp of WWII. This 5-time Tony Award winning musical is full of love young and new, difficult decisions and songs full of joy and happiness and love. The Sound of Music was one of the first musicals I ever watched and made me fall in love with actress Julie Andrews.

Singin’ in the Rain

This 1952 musical is full of romance, comedy and music. Based in the 1920s, the story follows the famous actor Don Lockwood and his shallow co-star Lina Lamont while the world of cinema transitions from silent films to “talkies.” With friend Cosmo Brown and love interest Kathy Selden, the award-winning actors take the classic musical filled with love and comedy to a whole new level. My mother showed me this musical when I was younger, and it has always been a favorite of mine.

Phantom of the Opera

Based on the novel by French author Gaston Leroux and with music by Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber, the opera-like musical follows the story of Christine Daaé, the orphaned daughter of a famous violinist who becomes a star thanks to the Opera Ghost in 1800s France. Raoul, the Vicomte de Chagny and the new patron of the Opera house, recognizes Christine from his childhood and is immediately smitten, but so is the Phantom, whom Christine believes to be the Angel of Music her father sent to guide her. The story goes on to tell of love, hatred, and betrayal. The 7-time Tony Award winning musical just celebrated its 30 year anniversary. This musical is a classic that I had the honor of seeing on Broadway, and it will always be a favorite of mine.

Mamma Mia

Based on the songs of ABBA,  Mamma Mia tells the story of Sophie and her desire to find out her who father is before she gets married so he can walk her down the aisle. She discovers her mom’s old diary and learns the intimate details that reveal that three men could potentially be her father. So she invites them all without her mother knowing. Upon seeing the three past loves of her life all at once Sophie’s mother, Donna, and her two best friends go into a frenzy so that Sophie will never know the truth about the three men. The musical is full of crazy dance numbers and the famous song Dancing Queen. The award-winning musical shows the wonderful love between a mother and daughter and the love between men and women. This musical is the one that I watch when I need a pick-me-up during a hard and stressful week of school.

Musicals are one of the things in life that truly make me feel good. Music, singing, and dancing all wrapped up in one just makes my heart soar. My friends hear me sing way too much but they love me enough to join in and sing with me. Musicals give us songs that we can relate to, and they shed light on ideas and lessons that we all could learn. Musicals take our imaginations and make them a reality.

There are so many more musicals that I could talk about, but then we would be here all day. Hamilton, Anastasia: The Musical, The Greatest Showman, Wicked, and so many more have touched the hearts of music and theater lovers. Musicals let people express themselves in ways not everyone can.

So, if you like to sing, sing. Sing your heart out, dance like no one is watching and pursue whatever dreams you want because you can do it. Just know that you can do it.

I am a senior, English major at Stephen F. Austin. I love to read, drink coffee and hang out with my friends from back home. My goal is to get a career in publishing and editing and I will be going to the University of Denver this summer for graduate school! Thank you for taking the time to read my articles and I hope you enjoy Her Campus!
Brianna is a Psychology major with a minor in Human Development and Family Studies here at SFA. She is passionate about people and that's how she landed a spot as CC for Her Campus' chapter at SFA! She enjoys hanging out with her cats, getting tattoos, and doing research. Her passion is to help the LGBTQ+ community by focusing on LGBTQ+ health and therapy in the future.