This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

First appearing in France in 1872, the word “féministe” was transferred to the USA in 1910. Thus ‘feminist’ was born. Of course, this is not going to be a crash in the movement. If you are confused by what feminism is go and Google it. I’ll wait.

Did you Google it yet?

Okay, cool. So, we are all on the same page.

After the birth of punk, a second version of the anarchy soundtrack was birthed. Started by bands such a Bikini Kill and Huggy Bear – ‘Riot Grrrl’ music was made for the women of punk. At the time of early Britney Spears, Riot Grrrl music was made for the feminist with a punch. It was birthed from bloodied tampons, fighting domestic/secual abuse and anarchism.

Being clad in tight pro-women tops and ripped jeans, Riot Grrls helped birth the type of intersexual feminism we all have learned and love.

You don’t know what that means either?

Disappointed, but not surprised. This one I’ll explain – as it can get kind of confusing. Intersexual feminism was birthed to counteract the birth of White Feminism. White Feminism is essentially just feminism that discredits and ignores the discrimination that minorities face. So intersexual feminism is equality for ALL, not just for the early 20th century depiction. While that wave of feminism was important, it also ignored the struggles of women of color.

So, Riot Grrls helped build the ground for intersexual feminism. While it was curated for women of the Punk scene it welcomed anyone to be a part of the movement. Molly Neuman (Bratmobile drummer) explained that “We’re not anti-boy, we’re pro-girl” which really set a tone for the movement as a whole. The difference between Riot Grrls and bands like No Doubt that were all started at the same time – Riot Grrls were political. They were loud, passionate and they were fighting. They weren’t silent about their beliefs and instead fought hard for their place in the world of Punk/Music.

Fast forward to current pop music. Yes, I am comparing Bikini Kill to artists such as Kesha. Move past it.

In a culture where being ‘anti-feminist’ is a personality trait, so many celebrities are stepping out as feminists. While there are many notable and awesome feminists in our current age, I want to focus on the women of pop. Artists such as Halsey, Kesha, Ariana Grande and Taylor Swift have all stepped out supporting the movement. Along with fighting homophobia and racism, these artists are not shy about their fight against sexual misconduct in the music industry. With the rise of the #MeToo movement, more pop starts are getting political.

Just this past month (June 9th, 2019 to be exact) Kesha released a song called Right, White, Straight Men. In this song the singer explores a world where these men weren’t in control.  The chorus of the song just a chant of “What if rich, white, straight men didn’t rule the world anymore” – which is about as politically charged as it can be. Or take Halsey’s track “Nightmare” which is a politically charged song AND accompanying video. With lyrics “No, I won’t smile, but I’ll show you my teeth/And I’ma let you speak if you just let me breathe” it isn’t a surprise that she made it into this column.

Even songs with subtle political bite, the meaning is still evident. On Lizzo’s track “Soulmate”, at a first glance it is just another poppy breakup song. However in her lines “They used to say, “To get a man, you gotta know how to look”/They used to say, “To keep a man, you had to know how to cook”/But I’m solo in Soho, sippin’ Soju with Malibu/It’s a me, myself kinda attitude” she is directly challenging the social expectations on women. The song is full of ways she can just be happy being alone and how at the end of the day she is all she needs. In a society where girls are told from a young age that they need a man – this thinking is important.

Pop stars aren’t only adding their political opinions over song but are now actively participating in the discussions. Ariana Grande donated $250,000 of proceeds from one of her concerts to Planned Parenthood in Atlanta. Taylor Swift is challenging the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES to pass the Equality Act and urged her fans to write letters to Senate about the bill (which she herself did as well).

Riot Grrl music may be a stark contrast to the current poppy-era we are in, but the meaning is still there. Behind the bubbly music and sometimes shallow lyrics, these artists are still fighting for the same causes. Because of the Riot Grrl movement (which is still going strong to the day by the way – I recommend checking out Lady Pills), the intersexual feminism movement has moved its way to the mainstream media.

Just a 20-years-old Animal and Ghost Enthusiast. Stephen F. Austin Her Campus editor and Co-CC.
Hello Everyone! My name is Laura Restrepo and I go to SFA. I plan to major in psychology so I can use my degree to help others and make this world a better place. I am a writer for Her Campus. I love to read anything and everything whether its books, magazines, blogs, fan-fiction, journals, etc. I enjoy all types of music; I am open to anything. I am also a huge nerd for Star Wars, Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings/Hobbit series. In conclusion, the perfect day for me consists of these things with coffee and cold weather.