Parking Needs to Change: SFA Students to the University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

*All opinions are the author’s own*

“I think SFA ignores the parking problem because of all the revenue it earns from parking tickets. If they fix parking that money goes away.” -Tedrick Hawkins, Senior

SFA students complain about dining dollars, love bug attacks, and random weather changes. However, the main issue that’s making students’ blood boil right now is the parking dilemma.

Parking is essential and tuition is expensive. Someone in an authoritative position needs to make a statement. Will the real parking culprit please stand up? Students are paying money left and right on class (on access codes for the class, books for the class, etc.) It is more of an issue now than ever because students who reside on campus must park unreasonably far from their dorm. In addition, commuter students must leave at least half an hour early for class just to make it to class on time because it takes over twenty minutes to park and wait for a bus to bring them closer to class. 

Picture Courtesy of Alayna Walker

SFA officials are in hot water and obviously have a hard time taking all the heat. In response, the SFA Government Association held a Parking forum on Sept. 28, 2017 allowing students to express their comments and concerns. The forum lasted from 4pm to 6:30pm and the members allowed students extra time afterwards for anyone interested in becoming a part of the parking committee.  

Cynthia Haile, the supervisor in parking services, led the forum. She opened the floor to all attendees and had members of SGA pass out papers encouraging students to go to Twitter and tweet the hashtag, #askcynthia to allow people to ask more questions.

According to Haile, SFA cannot afford expanding parking in areas. 

Although students are unaware of the ins and outs regarding every financial responsibility for the school, eyebrows are still raised; Over 10,000 students are paying substantial amounts of money, and it does not make sense why everyone is not accommodated with a parking space.

Throughout the event, students received clarity (or a lack thereof) for their ongoing parking frustrations. Haile reviewed topics regarding appeals and citations. She also reasoned with students who had suggestions on alterations for parking locations. 

Members of SGA handed out surveys that will be reviewed immediately.

Supposedly, once the STEM building and the bridge on Starr street are completed, there’s going to be a wider selection of parking for some residents living near those areas such as Village, North and Kerr Halls. Until then, it does not look good for residents or commuters. Officials of parking services are saying they want to make parking as reasonable and convenient as possible. It is up to you to take their word for it.

Photos by Daina Phillips for Her Campus at SFA

Hello, my name is Alayna Walker and I am a junior at Stephen F. Austin. I am a Radio/Tv Broadcasting major and I am minoring in psychology. My hobbies include reading, writing, working out and dancing.