The Ongoing Journey of Reading milk and honey by Rupi Kaur

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

I came across the book milk and honeyby chance in a local book shop here in Nacogdoches, Tx. I immediately bought it after flipping to a random page and reading the small bit there. The small poem that got me to buy the books was: 

“you whisper

i love you

what you mean is

i don’t want you to leave”  

-Rupi Kaur, milk and honey, pg.92  

It is a simple poem, but it was one that caught my eye and I felt compelled to read some more. The collection originally came out in 2014, so I realized I was reading this book four years after release and I might have a different outlook on it than what most people did in 2014. The day I bought it, I was reading it aloud to some close friends and, as I got deeper into the collection, I realized how real everything written was. I had to put the book away at some point because it got too real for a few friends. 

However, I kept reading the collection to myself and, even though I haven’t finished it (considering I am a full-time college student with too much work on her hands), I find myself going back to milk and honey, re-reading certain poems and prose, and bookmarking them as my favorites for this or that reason.

If you are looking for a good book to read, then I highly suggest find a copy of milk and honeyand read it with a nice cup of coffee/tea besides you. Here is a quick summary from Google Books:  “’milk and honey’ is a collection of poetry and prose about survival. About the experience of violence, abuse, love, loss, and femininity. It is split into four chapters, and each chapter serves a different purpose. Deals with a different pain. Heals a different heartache. ‘milk and honey’ takes readers through a journey of the most bitter moments in life and finds sweetness in them because there is sweetness everywhere if you are just willing to look and finds sweetness in them because there is sweetness everywhere if you are just willing to look.”

Bri Bell was a writer for SFASU Her Campus. She graduated with a Bachelor's in Art cica 2019! She is an artistic woman with a passion for FIlm/Cinematogrpahy, as well as writing. Bri Bell tends to write about things she is passionate about whether that be about music, literature, politics, or even random anime recommendations. She is fairly easy going about what she writes, and attempts to stray away from any topics that could have any/all triggers.
Brianna is a Psychology major with a minor in Human Development and Family Studies here at SFA. She is passionate about people and that's how she landed a spot as CC for Her Campus' chapter at SFA! She enjoys hanging out with her cats, getting tattoos, and doing research. Her passion is to help the LGBTQ+ community by focusing on LGBTQ+ health and therapy in the future.