OMA Tunnel of Oppression Sheds Light on Serious Issues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

Photo by LaShauna Bell

Every year, the Office of Multicultural Affairs (OMA) along with the Lumberjack Cultural Association at Stephen F. Austin State University presents this event. The Tunnel of Oppression is an interactive display that highlights different forms of oppression. The event starts off in the Baker Pattillo Student Center (BPSC) theater where you are shown a movie clip about police brutality. Everyone is split up into separate groups and are taken to different areas. In past years, the Tunnel of Oppression has touched on controversial topics, such as: police brutality, racial profiling, genocide, mental health problems, and human trafficking.

The first time that I went through the Tunnel of Oppression was my freshman year for my SFA 101 class. I remember how shocked I was when, at one point of the tour, the guides began yelling at everyone and separating those who are African-American from those who are white. The black students were forced to the back of the line, and as we entered one of the rooms, I remember hearing the N-word repeated time and time again. The room we had entered dealt with racial profiling. Another room that greatly impacted me was when we went into a room that dealt with bullying—in person and online. The room was pitch black. This guy was sitting in front of a laptop and all you could hear was negative comments coming from a hidden speaker. Eventually, he got tired of the comments and decided that he had had enough. The last thing I heard was a gunshot.…

If you haven’t attended the Tunnel of Oppression for yourself, I would highly encourage you to go. This event covers several issues that our society tends to “sweep under the rug.” It is time to address these issues and injustices.

If you or someone you know is dealing with issues, like those addressed in the Tunnel of Oppression, please contact the following numbers:

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255

American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU): 212-549-2500

SAMHSA Treatment Referral Helpline: 1‑877‑726‑4727

Brittany Malone is a senior at Stephen F. Austin State University where she is majoring in Psychology and is on a pre-med track. In her free time, Brittany enjoys reading books, writing stories, and obsessing over Treasure Planet. 
Andrea Gallier is a Journalism major and Dance minor at Stephen F. Austin State University in Nacogdoches, Texas. Her passions include: dancing, traveling, hiking, backpacking, camping, The Walking Dead, and (of course) writing. Andrea sailed with Semester at Sea in Spring 2016 and is an aspiring travel writer. She has also worked as a contributing writer at The Pine Log at SFA and is a member of Dimensions Contemporary Ballet, a dance company in Nacogdoches. Website: http://andreagallier.wixsite.com/portfolio Twitter/Instagram/Snapchat: @andreagallier