This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

Everyone always rushes to the movie theatres to see the newest releases, whether it’s the latest Avengers movie or the next big horror flick, but most people don’t think to revisit some of the classics that shaped movie-making and film in general. One of the most recent rediscoveries that I’ve made is Sunset Boulevard, a 1950 crime drama. Here’s why you need to watch it:

Photo courtesy of Google Images

1. It’s a crime drama…need I say more?

We all love crime dramas, whether it be true crime or a fictionalized crime story. For some reason, we just can’t get enough, and that’s part of why this is a must-watch movie. Not only are there clues throughout that helps the audience solve the crime, but the cyclical nature of the story also keeps you enthralled from start to finish. Plus, the story is told from beyond the grave, what else do I need to say to get you to watch this?

2. Norma Desmond’s character is really compelling…and creepy

Norma Desmond is the leading lady in the film, who is a former silent film queen that’s stuck in the past. Her portrayal of obsession, mental turmoil, and dissociation from the outside world will have you on your toes. In the movie, she claims she acts with her eyes, and Gloria Swanson, the actress who portrays her, does an excellent job of acting through her eyes. 

Photo courtesy of Taylor Thomas

3. You’ll be a more cultured movie-watcher!

WatchingSunset Boulevard will not only get you brownie points with your grandparents, but it can also teach you something (don’t worry, in a fun way!). Not only does it teach you not to fall into the grasp of an obsessive former silent movie star, but it also tells you about L.A. in the 1950s, gives you an insight into the behind-the-scenes processes of movie-making, and much more. Plus, Norma Desmond is the woman who coined the phrase “I’m ready for my close-up,” so you can use that on the next trivia night question!

I know that a lot of people generally shy away from older movies because it’s more difficult to relate to the characters and situations on screen. Plus, movie-making has evolved a lot since then, so it’s cool to see where movies started and compare it to where they are now. It’s always beneficial to watch older movies and just movies in general, so don’t feel turned off by the black and white; try a movie that you never would have picked before, I’m positive you’ll be a more well-versed movie-watcher because of it!

My name is Haley Garrelts and I'm an English major with a double minor Spanish and Linguistics at SFA! I love to write and read and Her Campus is awesome!
Hello, my name is Sa Maria Boyd. I am a Louisiana native raised in the beautiful city of Fort Worth, Texas. I am a really fun person ( at least I'd like to think). I graduated high school in 2015 from the wonderful Western Hills High School. In my four years there, I was apart of the Color Guard, Key Club, Senior Board, My goal is to travel the world and learn about different cultures so that I can help the world become more unified. I am currently attending Stephen F. Austin State University where I will be receiving my Bachelors of Arts in Mass Communications with a minor in Psychology in May of 2019. While I have been in school, I have held the positions of Social Media Director/Vice President for Her Campus SFA, and Vice President for the 6812 Chapter of the NAACP. I have also worked on the Crew, the television production organization for the Mass Communications department, KSAU 90.1--The Axe, and all three shows for SFA TV2.