This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

For recent high school graduates, or even long-time graduates looking to get back in school, college life can be difficult to adjust to. That’s me – the shy, recent high school graduate that was both nervous and excited for her new chapter in life.

Photo from: themorrisbunchblog.com

The only time that I had technically seen what college life looked like was when I was enrolled in dual enrollment courses. Every day felt like a job–which is sort of true, minus the monetary bills. Having homework for my high school classes AND my college classes was difficult enough, but I was also involved in many extracurricular activities and a sports team. I used to stay up until two or three in the morning, trying to finish all of the homework that had been dumped upon me for the last two days. As I got older, I realized that the work became much easier just because I was nearly finished with my required high school courses. I was able to take multiple electives to fill up my schedule, and that helped lessen the weight on my shoulders.

Photo from: valleysleepcenter.com

The (sometimes) feared transition from high school to college didn’t lessen due to the fact that some of the older students and my teachers used to tell the younger students how challenging college life and the courses were. They said that the professors would never give their students a review before an exam nor remind them of the said exam, or that there was no joking in the classroom at all; that was not completely true!

Photo from: Me.Me // Twitter @ beliebernicole8

First of all, some of my teachers are actually pretty funny. They like to joke around with their students a bit and are friendly. There are certain teachers that will remind their students of an upcoming exam and will gladly provide some assistance on course questions students ask. As much as they want to make students more comfortable in the classroom, they want their students to succeed with as much help as they can provide. Though college is a serious environment, it can be enjoyable if one allows themselves to let go a bit and enjoy their limited time there. Get involved in organizations or club sports that are interesting or make some friends to hang out with! Just have a little bit of fun while taking study breaks! On that note: I have successfully finished my second week of school with minimal damage to my self-esteem….but already have acne on my face! Can’t wait to see what the rest of the year brings me!

I am studying English with a minor in Secondary Education. I like watching TV/movies, reading, softball, and the color purple. Her Campus member since Fall 2019 and loving it! "It's our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore
Hello Everyone! My name is Laura Restrepo and I go to SFA. I plan to major in psychology so I can use my degree to help others and make this world a better place. I am a writer for Her Campus. I love to read anything and everything whether its books, magazines, blogs, fan-fiction, journals, etc. I enjoy all types of music; I am open to anything. I am also a huge nerd for Star Wars, Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings/Hobbit series. In conclusion, the perfect day for me consists of these things with coffee and cold weather.