This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

SFA is filled with creative minds. Modern Tribe is no different. Modern Tribe is the collaboration of art and fashion visions of Faidat Bakare and Jaida Taylor, two creative SFA students. Learn more about the brand on this week’s Campus Celebrity.

1. What is “Modern Tribe?

Modern Tribe, created in 2011 by Faidat Bakare and Jaida Taylor is an apparel and accessory line with one of a kind collectibles. Modern Tribe creates its merchandise on a foundation of style, unique design, mind blowing creativity, a consistency of innovative looks, and most of all on the basis of ART. The products we produce for our customers are hand crafted and customized to suit our customers. We make everything by hand and customize already made products. We not only design clothing, and create accessories but we also reconstruct garments, we display modern trends, vintage collectibles and classic pieces.

2. What was the driving force behind starting the company?

The driving force behind starting Modern Tribe is both of our passion for fashion and art. Inspired by the greats—musicians, painters, fashion designers, people of power, we both have the drive to create on the basis of those greats being our daily motivators, but it was never quite done like this before. We’ve never expected Modern Tribe to be what it is today. Together, we create a powerhouse team who’s always looking to top what we’ve already done. We never look at others; instead we study what’s around us to create what you see today.

3. What kind of woman or man fits the Modern Tribe Target Audience?

The Ideal Modern Tribe woman is that of elegance and confidence. Modern Tribe isn’t just about the clothing and nice accessories, it’s all about bringing out your inner beauty. Our line is about accepting your flaws and becoming the woman who God created you to be. The ideal woman for our brand is someone who is respected enough to carry the confidence she knows she deserves. When you feel great, you look great. That would be the motto for our brand. There is no age limit when it comes to our brand, we make timeless and ageless pieces.

4. Where or who do you get your fashion inspiration from?

History. From watching old films, browsing picture books about old musicians, to purchasing magazines and browsing blogs, we get our inspiration from anything we can set our eyes on. We try not to imitate something that has been done before, so it’s hard to say that we get our inspiration from someone. But that doesn’t stop us from browsing and collecting little things that we like, to create something that we find amazing and one of a kind! Usually, everything that we make and sell has been done on impact, very spur of the moment!

5. How do you balance school and working on your brand?

This semester, we have plenty of time to study and focus on our brand. Balancing the two isn’t that hard. During the day we work on school work, while the nights are dedicated to working for Modern Tribe. Our photo shoots are set for weekends only, if the time permits. Our weeks are busy, but fun nonetheless. Very interesting we must say.

6. What advice would you give someone going into fashion?

Never give up. Focus on one thing and remain persistent in your work. Others will judge, hate, and love, but as long as you enjoy doing what you love to do, there shouldn’t be a problem. Know what you want out of your line and push to get there. The opportunities are endless. Focus on branding yourself and your line. Presentation is key. The way you present yourself and your line is what matters the most. The reminder is to always think like a “BOSS” !

7. Where do you see Modern Tribe in 5 years?

In the magazines of VOGUE, MARIE CLAIRE, INSTYLE, GLAMOUR, and NYLON. We want to run and walk the runways of New York and Paris!

If you want to contact Modern Tribe or purchase some of their fab merchandise,you can contact them here:
Website: WWW.MDRNTRIBE.COM

Twitter: @M0DERNTRIBE

E-mail: MODERNTRIBE11@GMAIL.COM

Personal Twitters:

Jaida Taylor: @KiloNani

Faidat Bakare: @xGLAM0URR

Jessika Davidson is a senior at Stephen F. Austin State University majoring in Radio/TV communications with an emphasis in news writing and a public relations/photojournalism double minor. From Houston, TX, the humorous and vivacious campus socialite came to Nacogdoches to escape the hustle and bustle of Texas' big city. When she's not hard at work at the campus radio or TV station, she's often doing community service projects around town with her sorority sisters of Gamma Sigma Sigma, of which she is the chapter president of. She also enjoys working at her jobs, one as a Master Control Operator for the KTRE-9 TV station and one as the owner of Jessika Davidson Photography, where she travels the state with her beloved nikon, affectionately named "Gary", to shoot weddings. She is beyond excited to be a campus correspondent for SFA, and hopes to become a video journalist (news reporter) or a host of a entertainment show.