This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

Physical Touch

Physical touch is the most common one I’ve observed from people, along with words of affirmation. Physical touch is so precious because it’s so intimate and loving and can be executed in more ways than one. When people think of this language, usually kissing is the first thing that comes to mind, but there’s also hugging, handholding, and even innocent things like high-fives or handshakes. Love languages are not exclusive to romance; they can apply to friendships as well. If you have a friend who’s love language is physical touch, try giving them hugs when you haven’t seen them all day or a pat on the back when they accomplish something. This can be tricky if you feel weird with affection of any kind, but that friend will greatly appreciate it. The same applies to lovers, but small gestures like holding the small of their back while you’re walking, wrapping your arm around them, and sitting close to them are all great for this language.

Words of Affirmation

If you or someone else has this as their love language, this means you express your love or want to receive affection verbally (love letters qualify for this as well). You must be expressive about your feelings, but you don’t have to be a poet. Telling them you love them, complimenting them, or expressing how you feel inside checks all the boxes. This language requires reassurance most times but is not to be mistaken with neediness or insecurities. Words of affirmation can be simple, but they have such a great impact on the ones that value them the most.

For lovers, remind them how sexy they are to you and say things like “Wow, babe, those jeans hug all your curves so nicely!” or “I love it when you get your haircuts!”. You can’t go wrong with reminding them how attracted you are to them, especially if you guys have been dating a long time. For friends, complimenting their outfits when they look sharp is great too, or telling them when they’ve done a good job on something they’ve been working on. It doesn’t hurt to let them know how much you appreciate having them around too.

Acts of Service

Acts of service sounds demanding and high maintenance, but it can all actually be so simple. The word “service” is what scares people off, but you have to sit back and think “what is service? What are some common services that I know?” Some ways to cater to this love language are bringing them food or medicine when they are sick, giving them a ride to work, taking out the trash, refilling their water bottle, etc. You can get even simpler than that, by charging their phone when they don’t have their charger around, or even holding their arm if they are injured or having trouble walking in heels. One might think this language requires a servant, but at the end of the day, these people just want to know you have their back.

Gifts

This is another love language that repels some people at first glance, but that’s because most of us associate it with monetary value. While diamond rings and expensive tennis bracelets sound nice, you do not have to purchase those things to satisfy someone with this language- in fact, you may not have to purchase anything at all! It’s the small things that count, so picking up their favorite candy bar while you’re at the store, making a scrap book, writing a love letter, etc. Those are all incredible ways to show love.

Quality Time

Finally, we have quality time. Catering to this love language is all in the name, just simply spend time with them. However, it is quality time, so talking to them on the phone for ten minutes might not be enough for them to feel the love. Plan something and go over to their house to binge movies together, go to dinner and have a conversation without interruptions, cook a dinner together or have a picnic – your options are endless! If you have friends who value quality time, this is even easier because just hanging out with them is enough, though you can make it exciting. Swimming, having lunch, and watching TV with them are all ideal ways to satisfy them.

Born: April 17, 2000 in Houston, Tx Fav food: Pizza Fav color: Pink Major: Theater Arts