This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

In college, lots of couples test whether or not they can stay together through long distance. I interviewed a couple I know who have managed to stay together through distance to see things from their perspective. I did interview them separately to ensure more truthful answers.

Photo by: LaShauna Bell

1. What do you like about being in a long-distance relationship?

Man: I like that when I do see my girlfriend, we do big things because we have longer to plan and save for when we’re together. 

Woman: Literally nothing!

2. What do you not like about being in a long-distance relationship?

Man: I miss her all the time. It’s hard being away from someone you care about especially when you know what it’s like to be with them all the time. The physical aspects of a relationship aren’t the most important thing but they’re important and I miss being with my girlfriend in that way.

Woman: I hate being away from my boyfriend. Going from seeing him every day to maybe once a month was a shock. I just didn’t realize how hard being away would be.

3. How do you get through the hard times?

Man: We call and text and basically just talk things through as much as we can from where we are.

Woman: We call and text for the most part but if it’s really bad we skype so we can see each other.

4. Do you see yourself being with the same person in 10 years? Why or why not?

Man: Yes, I know I have a winning lottery ticket and I’m just waiting until I can cash it in.

Woman: Yes, I think he’s the one.

5. Do you think being in a long-distance relationship has strengthened the bond between you and your significant other?

Man: No, we’ve always been really strong.

Woman: I’m not sure. We have always had a strong relationship, but I don’t think that us being apart has made the bond we share stronger.

6. Where do you see yourself and your significant other in 5 years?

Man: I see us living together and starting our lives together. I don’t know if we’ll be engaged or married yet, but we’ll definitely still be together.

Woman: I see us living together and planning our wedding, but you never know.

Take what you want away from this interview what you want, and I hope it sheds some light on your relationship. Is your relationship strong enough to withstand the strain of distance?

Strong believer in coffee, netflix, and naps!
Brianna is a Psychology major with a minor in Human Development and Family Studies here at SFA. She is passionate about people and that's how she landed a spot as CC for Her Campus' chapter at SFA! She enjoys hanging out with her cats, getting tattoos, and doing research. Her passion is to help the LGBTQ+ community by focusing on LGBTQ+ health and therapy in the future.