This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

Texas is crawling with bands that I think are worthy of so much more praise than they receive. Texas isn’t just country music, there’s a rock music scene budding in every city. Here’s a few local artists that I love and you should too. 

1. Madmartigan – Austin, TX

Madmartigan is a three-piece-emo band creating unique music with poetic lyrical content and unusual song structure. Their music is reminiscent of early 2000s emo and their introspective lyrics are sure to make you feel something. To hear their music, you can listen on SpotifyBandcamp, or see them perform live here in Nacogdoches on November 16 at Purple Haze Vapes, along with a few other Nacogdoches bands. 

Photo from Instagram (@madmartiganatx)

2. Corusco – Bryan, TX

Their sound could be described as indie rock with an edge. It’s a mixture of gritty bass riffs, mellow guitar and sincere vulnerability in their lyrics. The name Corusco derives from a Latin word meaning the inner battle between happiness and sorrow, the internal struggle between darkness and light— and their music reflects that sentiment. Their debut album Wake is available on Spotify and Bandcamp, and you watch their music video for “New Year” on Youtube.

3. The Wild Frontiers- Dallas, TX 

This alternative rock/pop band has it all. A definitive sound, a killer fashion sense and great stage presence. The Wild Frontiers are sweeping fans off their feet with their catchy lyrics and old souls. They released their 5-track EP “17” over the summer and you can watch the music video for their single Drive. You can find their music on Spotify and Apple Music. 

4. Little Image – Dallas, TX

There must be something in the water in Dallas. Its music scene is bursting with talent and Little Image is no exception. Little Image is an indie rock band with an atmospheric sound that makes all their songs hauntingly beautiful. The harmonies are truly what makes this band special and their lyrics are meant to pull on your heart strings. Their song “I Guess I’m Not Apart of Your Dreams” is heart wrenchingly alluring. Their EP Musings is out now on Spotify and Apple Music. 

Photo from Facebook (Little Image)

5. Honest Men – Waco, TX

Lastly, Honest Men is a band combining 80’s synth pop and indie rock to create their own sound. Their music is like a breath of fresh air, reminiscent of Bleachers and WALK THE MOON. Honest Men’s self-titled EP is available on Spotify and Apple Music. Watch their wildly aesthetically pleasing music video for “I’m Okay.

Pop punk enthusiast. Concert photography. Aspiring music journalist. The definition of a music nerd.
Brianna is a Psychology major with a minor in Human Development and Family Studies here at SFA. She is passionate about people and that's how she landed a spot as CC for Her Campus' chapter at SFA! She enjoys hanging out with her cats, getting tattoos, and doing research. Her passion is to help the LGBTQ+ community by focusing on LGBTQ+ health and therapy in the future.