The Life of a Sorority Girl: Chi-Omega edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

SORORITIES. We see them on every college campus and we constantly have our preconceptions about them even though we know little about them. Even though it’s human nature to judge and recall all the negative stereotypes we hear about sororities, we shouldn’t base our ideas of who they are on them. I decided that if it was me, I wouldn’t want people to judge or hate on me for being a part of something that is bigger than me. So I decided to give them a voice: Here are some of the girls from Chi-Omega and their opinions on society’s negative views.  

Photos courtesy from Chi-Omega’s social media, collage made by Laura Restrepo.

1. What is the biggest stereotype about Sorority Girls that you wish didn’t exist? Why do you think people have created this stereotype?

>Corinne (Freshmen, Nursing): Everyone assuming we’re dumb, but we’re actually smart. People are surprised when they see my grades which is weird since I like to believe that I’m smart. I don’t know how it could have been created.  >Callie (Freshmen, Education), Cammie (Junior, Communication Science and Disorder/ Speech Pathology), Alexis (Freshmen, Pre-Nursing):  Alexis: Most people think it’s all about drinking and partying when really that is a big no-no, you can actually get kicked out for it.  Cammie: Sororities are not always about partying, and we’re not all rich. 

Callie: People think we’re ditsy and stupid when in reality some of us are actually very intelligent, and to me, some of the smartest people I know are in sororities. With Chi-O we actually have the highest GPA average on campus. 

2. What is something you wish you could tell people who believe that girls in sororities are “bratty or spoiled, white girls?”What would your reaction be if someone said this to your face?

>Corinne: Giving them a fair shot to get to know them and not to judge them based on that idea. There may be a few but we are not all like that. I wouldn’t know how to react. 

> Callie: I would most likely tell them that is not the case. For me, I pay for the majority for the stuff that I need whether it’s my meal plan, housing or whatever I need. Plus, I am working to help with that, while being a part of organizations like Chi-O and doing school. NO sorority is completely cookie- cutter. Each sorority has so many positive quantities that people tend to look over them. 

>Cammie: I would feel very defensive because a lot of us work to be a part of something we love.

>Alexis: Unfortunately, people tend to always look at the negative side when it comes to sororities when that shouldn’t be the case. 

3. What are some struggles you believe come with being a part of a sorority? Some benefits?

>Corinne: I feel a struggle would be trying to prevent stereotypes, always trying to give the sorority a good name and upholding the morals.

>Alexis: I feel like when it comes to balancing my time, but there are a lot of resources that help me. I heard once that “we aren’t paying for friends,” when in reality we are paying for the things we need. The bonus is when it comes to paying for those resources is getting a family/support system.   >Callie: There are things that help us when we’re struggling. I think something that can be messed up is when I get looks from people when I tell them I am in a sorority. Those looks come from a place where people like to think they know all about me but really that is not the case.   >Cammie: A benefit is getting to know a lot of different people, and with any organization or situation you come across whatever you put in, is what you put in. 

4. Do you think your sorority is diverse? How do you deal with diversity? What factors do you believe come into play when it comes to accepting new members? 

>Corinne: It is more diverse than you think because it is up to the new pledge/members class to bring in new people. It gets more and more diverse every time. 

> Callie: One thing that I am proud of is our by-laws when it comes to bringing dates before it was strict on only bring male dates, but now we can bring whoever rather than just guys. So, it helps girls who are a part of the LGBTQ+ community.  Also, one thing is that our differences cover our weakness with each other’s strength. So, if someone is lacking in something, someone else has it as a strength which is amazing and helpful. >Cammie: I feel our diversity is in our personalities, so we are not all the same. We are a melting pot of personalities, we are not all ditsy valley girls. 

>Callie: Our biggest factor is our GPA with new members who don’t come in straight from high school. We value our education which is what we want from new members as well. 

5. What are some positive things that you wish more people knew about when it comes to being a part of a Sorority? 

>Corinne: Volunteering opportunities like when we did MAKE-A-WISH, and even though I have my own it still gives me a set of morals to live by. 

>Callie: Well to me from coming from a family where I was a role model for my siblings to a place where I have so many role models to look up to and get help or advice from. I consider that a huge plus. Also, I am constantly finding new people that help and guide me and giving me a huge support system, which, most of the time, comes naturally with being in a sorority. It’s a family the minute you get initiated. And once you are in it’s a lifelong thing that you don’t want to get out of.

>Cammie: Getting plugged in immediately and connecting with a whole bunch of people. A huge benefit is, of course, meeting new people and gaining a new support system. Even though SFA is a small school it has managed to help me gain a new community where I feel like I know everyone. Also finding people from other schools who a part of the same sorority so not being limited to just my school but all over.

6. FUN FACT: What is a fun fact or something interesting about your sorority? 

>Corinne: Our symbol is an owl and we have it all over our house.

>Cammie:Our flower is the white carnation, we get 5 carnations for the different steps of our life whether if it’s being initiated, getting married, when we pass, etc. When it comes to carnations, one thing is when they die instead of falling apart and losing petals one by one like most flowers, it actually comes together. This is meant to explain our friendship with each other. 

>Callie: When it comes to symbols or colors, everything has a meaning to us and the organization. 

7. Any other comments to haters? 

>Corinne: None

>Callie: It’s hard to judge something you never have been a part of. 

>Alexis: Even though each person has their opinion, it doesn’t mean it is always right or necessarily the correct judgment. You can have an opinion on something and judge it based on that, but it doesn’t mean it’s right until you experience it or see it for yourself.

>Cammie: You can’t have negative judgments on us because sororities are so diverse and different in their own aspect. Each sorority brings something unique and special, it’s not something meant to be negative but positive. 

Interviewing these girls taught me something when it comes to sororities but to life as well. Everyone can have some idea or judgment of something, but it doesn’t mean that idea is right. Trust me I get wanting to base a judgment on some of the girls I see but it doesn’t mean it’s right. We all have different perceptions when it comes to these girls but sadly most of us (myself included) get them from Hollywood’s ideas. It’s human nature to judge, it’s our instinct actually, but sadly it doesn’t mean it is correct. Meeting these girls was a gift because they showed me what it means to be a part of a sorority: friendship, trust, strength and a whole lot of love. They may face the harsh view society has put on them, but they don’t let it affect them. From what I can see, they use these views to inspire others and show the world that sororities are about women empowerment, and of course life-long sisterhood. Giving these girls a voice, I am hoping to help others see that the positives always are better than the negatives. And who knows, maybe reading this will encourage you to be nicer to them or even *gasp* join one. 

Hello Everyone! My name is Laura Restrepo and I go to SFA. I plan to major in psychology so I can use my degree to help others and make this world a better place. I am a writer for Her Campus. I love to read anything and everything whether its books, magazines, blogs, fan-fiction, journals, etc. I enjoy all types of music; I am open to anything. I am also a huge nerd for Star Wars, Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings/Hobbit series. In conclusion, the perfect day for me consists of these things with coffee and cold weather.
Hello, my name is Sa Maria Boyd. I am a Louisiana native raised in the beautiful city of Fort Worth, Texas. I am a really fun person ( at least I'd like to think). I graduated high school in 2015 from the wonderful Western Hills High School. In my four years there, I was apart of the Color Guard, Key Club, Senior Board, My goal is to travel the world and learn about different cultures so that I can help the world become more unified. I am currently attending Stephen F. Austin State University where I will be receiving my Bachelors of Arts in Mass Communications with a minor in Psychology in May of 2019. While I have been in school, I have held the positions of Social Media Director/Vice President for Her Campus SFA, and Vice President for the 6812 Chapter of the NAACP. I have also worked on the Crew, the television production organization for the Mass Communications department, KSAU 90.1--The Axe, and all three shows for SFA TV2.